Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

License Plate Light --- Questions

ZHP members:

I am installing a license plate light rear camera for an Avin4 headunit.

I removed the light assembly, electrical taped the three wires individually because I am not using them. Then connected the camera wires and wireless receiver wires to the trunk wires noted in the ShopLifeTV video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08g1mqNX9g (8:00 minute mark).

Note: Since I bought and gave this vehicle to my nephew for Christmas, I had no knowledge if the reverse lights were working.

Now when I turned the vehicle on with the key and place it in reverse ... the reverse lights do not come on ... nor is the reverse camera displayed.

Is it okay to just taped off the light plate wires? Assuming the reverse lights were working prior to this, what would cause this problem? It appears that the reverse lights are not getting power.

Quote Originally Posted by Satcho View Post
    ZHP members:

I am installing a license plate light rear camera for an Avin4 headunit.

I removed the light assembly, electrical taped the three wires individually because I am not using them. Then connected the camera wires and wireless receiver wires to the trunk wires noted in the ShopLifeTV video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08g1mqNX9g (8:00 minute mark).

Note: Since I bought and gave this vehicle to my nephew for Christmas, I had no knowledge if the reverse lights were working.

Now when I turned the vehicle on with the key and place it in reverse ... the reverse lights do not come on ... nor is the reverse camera displayed.

Is it okay to just taped off the light plate wires? Assuming the reverse lights were working prior to this, what would cause this problem? It appears that the reverse lights are not getting power.

An update: I checked fuses ... all are good. I turned the lights on and the taillights and license plates lights are illuminated. When I place the vehicle in reverse ... no backup lights illuminated.

Since the vehicle is an automatic, I believe there is wiring or switch connect to the selector. Realoem.com provided no insight.

Another update:

I recognized way to test the backup lights since I did not want to cut the "hose snorkel" because there were no visually apparent broken wires. Since I had the spliced reverse wires exposed for the rear camera install ... I would jump directly to the battery positive post to see if they illuminate...THEY DID.

This tells me the the wiring in the trunk if fine but the problem must be upstream. Hopefully someone can provide their insight.

Note: I removed the console trim to install new trim; therefore, the shift illuminated piece is ajar (still attached with a wire to illuminate the P,R,et al). Again this is an automatic transmission.

I resolved the issue ... USER ERROR. The ignition must be in position 2 to activate the reverse circuitry. Initially I was testing the AVIN4 headunit and the front camera that I installed first. Everything worked perfectly in "position 1"; however, applying this same practice to the reverse camera does not work. It took me awhile to recognize that I needed the ignition to be in "position 2" to activate the reverse circuitry. Backup lights on come. Fortunately I did not start cutting the trunk snorkel and wires searching and hoping I found a broken wire.

This video shows exactly which wires into tap into for the reverse lights. AVIN does not provide instructions nor videos that accurately show you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08g1mqNX9g

Hope this helps someone to avoid my error and be able to quickly identify the correct wires to install a backup camera.

Thanks for following up on your issues.