Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    God speed, bud! I look forward to the reanimation of this little Mazda.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    My dad had an ‘83 626 for the first few years of my life, so I guess I was predisposed to Mazda fandom lol
    I had three first gen RX-7s. Two GS's and one GSL-SE. I loved driving those cars, especially my GSL-SE... then I upgraded to my first Porsche, an '86 944 and my love affair for German cars started....

My brother had a NA Miata and a Protege. Both were sold.

Now he has a turbocharged NC Miata used as a track car, though it's not as much in use these days. And he has a RX-8 with a Chevy 3.6 V6 swap for a daily that replaced a GTI that had VW type issues. His wife also got a CX-30 recently.

Agree about the n52 being more difficult to work on. It seems like everything they did there blocks stuff.

On the flip side it might be one of the most reliable modern German motors. They are tanks and super light!

Quote Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
    Agree about the n52 being more difficult to work on. It seems like everything they did there blocks stuff.

On the flip side it might be one of the most reliable modern German motors. They are tanks and super light!
    Either we’re just incredibly unlucky, or warped valve covers are an issue on the N52. Between the X3 and my old man’s E60 I think we’ve had to replace 3 VCs. Oh and the E60 has horrible lifter tick, luckily the E83 doesn’t. It’s a buttery smooth driving engine though.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Congrats, on the new adoption! Thanks for taking us along with the revival. I'm looking forward to updates.

She's home!

First let me say parking garages were absolutely not designed for what we did today, but this deck was definitely one of the few decks I've been in that we could've pulled it off. Alas, we got it out of the deck without damaging any vehicles or structures. Thankfully we only encountered one other car driving in the garage and it was an ND Miata that had no issue squeezing past us. A couple of the city streets were tight with parallel parked cars and impatient drivers, but all things considered it wasn't as bad as I had mentally prepared myself for.

Bringing in a car from another country. Retrieving a dead car from an underground garage with a rusty ass Silverado and $35 Uhaul dolly. I'm starting to wonder if I'm destined to acquire cars in weird ways.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Foolish last words: I’m hoping it’s just a fuel pump…
    Narrator: it wasn't the fuel pump.

Yep, so that's the oil pan. And yep, that's a bigass hole in it. Sigh... My friend hit a big pot hole and didn't make the connection that it might've been the cause of her no-start.
    Trying not to judge, trying not to judge, trying not to judge

There's no skid plates on this model under the engine, but there is a protective shield that saved the AC compressor/belt/pulley as evidenced by the big scuff on the edge of the shield.

Fortunately
    (a) I'm in no rush on this thing
    (b) an oil pan is $29 at LKQ once either a CX-7 or another 2.3L Mz3 hits the lot
    (c) dropping the pan is an absolute joke compared to the E46
    (d) there's no rigid gasket like the BMWs, just Permatex which I already have
    (e) my friend was less than half a mile from her garage when it happened
    (f) there was a shitload of oil on the ground once we pushed it from the parking spot, so it definitely didn't run dry
    (g) she only tried cranking it once, so I'm hopeful the internals are okay

Anyway, that's the initial prognosis. The car is rough around the edges, but that's okay because this was never going to be a quick project.

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Ouch, that must’ve been one nasty hit. But glad it’s not too difficult of a job to it back up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

+1

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Well, I’m an idiot who can’t read a parts compatibility chart. The CX7 oil pan is the same as the Mazdaspeed 3, not the regular Mazda 3. It’s all the same 2.3L block, but the AC compressor is in a different location on the turbocharged cars so the pan has different contours. The Pull-a-Part one city over had a pair of 2.3L Mz3s in their yard so I ran over there this afternoon before they closed. One of them had a big scuff in the exact same place as the hole in my oil pan, so they’re definitely vulnerable. The other one had a grenaded engine but the pan was intact so I rolled the dice.

The exploded rod left lots of little metal fragments and took a small gouge out. I used a wire wheel to de-burr the gouge and it’s now nice and smooth. Didn’t get a picture of it cleaned up because my hands were gross, but I was impressed with the results.

When I dropped the crack pan I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness inside. My friend definitely stuck to the recommended oil change intervals.

And the bottom of the engine was equally clean.

The new pan in installed, and I’m waiting 24hrs for the RTV to fully set. I’ll add oil tomorrow night, check for leaks on Thursday morning and give it the first test.

The car, however, is not quite as tidy as the inside of the engine.

I’ve never had to use degreaser on wheels before, but they were so filthy the grime literally gummed up when I tried running a soapy sponge across.

They eventually cleaned up fairly well, all things considered, but they’re all very curbed and have some paint chipping here and there. I’ll try to get them *more* presentable, and address the chips with materials I already have so they don’t get worse. But I’m not going to worry about anything major until these tires are shot…which could be a while based on the tread depth.

I have the majority of the car’s interior in my living room right now. I’m going to be cleaning everything as thoroughly as possible, shampooing the carpets and seats, etc.
    I can’t even begin to speculate when was the last time this car saw a vacuum…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12