Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tensioner nightmare

So, leaving work the other day I had a short period of time of a belt squeal. Went away after 1-2 minutes. Looked at it when I got home and did not notice anything unusual.

Started the car this morning and immediately as the motor started I heard a pop. I shut it off and popped the hood. Chunk missing out of the water pump pulley (plastic factory one) and appears contact with the tensioner’s mounting bolt post (the cast aluminum post closer to the water pump pulley than the tensioner pulley). Due to very short of time, jumped to the spare.

Tore it apart today and…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

I think the broken tensioner and pulley are are result of this…

Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Looks like where part of the tensioner mounts to the OFH broke off.

No obvious signs why, guessing corrosion. The car spent its first 6 years in Detroit, but can’t tell for sure.

Really an unusual failure, have not heard of this before.

! Dang! How do you fix that?
    Nightmare is right. Never seen this.
    Hope people with more experience can help you out.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

since it broke right across the screw hole, I'm going to venture a guess that it was tightened too much at one point.

is this the OFH side that you can take off? if so, just buy a used one and replace.

Yes, the whole OFH will have to be replaced. Have one on order. Ordered the BavAuto OFH gasket too. Several vendors had it and advertised it as being superior, designed specifically to be long lasting.

It’s been years since I did the tensioner last, so if I over tightened it, it took a long time to fail. I am usually pretty diligent about using a torque wrench too.

Going to work on getting the OFH out today. Not really looking forward to it. With the TS2 in the car it’s even more of a PITA.

Yes it is. That's why I tried to take care of all the crap that was under the manifold before the sc was installed lol save me some pain later.

GL with the fixes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

My tensioner also broke, but not the housing it mounts to. Rather unfortunate.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Autozone.com
    Got it all out. Not too bad. Got lucky snaking it around the s/c.

Close examination isn’t definitive, but I think it fractured on a casting line that runs through the upper tensioner bolt hole. Why now, no idea. Wondering if the upper bolt had loosened the movement caused stress and fracture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast