Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Starting issues / error codes help

Hey guys,

I purchased a ZHP over the summer and shortly after realized it had an occasional cold start issue. Being summer in sunny California it rarely manifested and I didn't really drive it much as other ZHP is my daily until I sort this one out. Reading through service records from PO I see that it was taken for a diagnostic but they didn't identify the cause. Hoping you guys can help me out before I resort to taking in to a shop.

Symptoms only show up when the engine is cold (even sitting in the sun is enough warmth to prevent it). After engine start the car idles for 10-20 seconds and then the RPMs drop and it stalls Video 1. If I increase the throttle up to about 2000 RPMs it will still drop but it will recover before it stalls (the drop lasts about 1/2 a second). The other thing it does now is a very rough wave where it goes up and down rapidly between 900-1300 RPMs and then eventually stalls Video 2.

I ran PASoft to read the error codes and there's quite a few but I'm not smart enough to pinpoint what the cause is. Here are the codes that come up - DME - EGS - ABS - LEW

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I just replaced VANOS seals, PO had the took it to the dealership for the same issue, they replaced the throttle body, SAP pressure line, and resealed DISA. He also had DME reflashed, replaced one of the VANOS solenoids, fuel pump and filter, and CCV.
    2005 Titanium Silver 330ci / 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 330i

FYI : the EGS, ABS and LEW screens ask for google sign-on.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    FYI : the EGS, ABS and LEW screens ask for google sign-on.
    Thanks, I changed the permissions. They should work now.

They work now. Do you have EWS errors ? I needed to replace mine. But the symptoms were different: the car didn't start every now and then. All you could hear was the battery cranking. After 10 attempts or so, it would finally start.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

This kind of sounds like a small vacuum leak. Have you checked the intake boots and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    They work now. Do you have EWS errors ? I needed to replace mine. But the symptoms were different: the car didn't start every now and then. All you could hear was the battery cranking. After 10 attempts or so, it would finally start.
    I have one, it just says "Power on reset"

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    This kind of sounds like a small vacuum leak. Have you checked the intake boots and stuff?
    My next step was to remove the intake book and inspect it myself, however the PO said they checked it and didn't see anything so I trusted them. The dealer replaced the hose that feeds into the SAP and the throttle housing assembly. Besides the intake boot any other hoses I should check?

I resolved the issue finally. The DME had basically gone bad. Many of the codes in the photos I linked are a common symptom of a bad DME. I found a place called RPM Motorsport that does DME repair if you mail it to them. After reinstalling it the car runs perfectly. So happy to finally be able to drive the sedan instead of my wife's RAV4

That’s good news. Thanks for the update.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles