Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Definitely not a place I would ever go for service. They don't get paid enough to give a crap about your car so the quality of work is a big wildcard.

Time to find a trusted Indy. It's a fine balance between cost and people who know what they're doing and care.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Ya I agree, just that it is always something with these F%%$# mechs and shops man
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

The mech that wanted to charge higher, he asked me to bounce the car to test the shocks.

Result is the right rear is much bouncier and weaker than the other 3. I can press it down much more easily and there is much more give, not stiff at all.

It bounces up and down 3-4 times after I let go.

Does this mean most likely need new shocks, or can it still be the mount also, OR is it suggested they both be replaced through pothole damage like this?
    Hankook Ventus V12

Just check the top mount, you will see if it is broken or not. If it's the dampers, they should always be replaced in pairs.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Result is the right rear is much bouncier and weaker than the other 3. I can press it down much more easily and there is much more give, not stiff at all.

It bounces up and down 3-4 times after I let go.

That shock is done. Definitely replace the rear left and right shocks.

A good sport-suspension shock should not bounce at all when pushed down, and it shouldn't be that easy to push down on it. It should rebound and stay.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

That shock is done. Definitely replace the rear left and right shocks.

A good sport-suspension shock should not bounce at all when pushed down, and it shouldn't be that easy to push down on it. It should rebound and stay.
    Is doing the mount also standard procedure or ONLY if the mounts are also compromised?

2003 and dont think anything in that area has ever been replaced so... but will only replace if needed, not just to "be nice to do it together."

I can do the rest when I get more funds.
    Hankook Ventus V12

Is doing the mount also standard procedure or ONLY if the mounts are also compromised?

2003 and dont think anything in that area has ever been replaced so... but will only replace if needed, not just to "be nice to do it together."

I can do the rest when I get more funds.
    Doing the mounts is an absolute no brainer if the shocks are being replaced anyway. Shock mounts are cheap and could save you from having to do the work again soon anyway to replace the mounts, as they are a failure item.

Rear shock mounts are easy, so if you want to penny pinch at this moment in time then you can if you're willing to replace them later down the road yourself. Otherwise, for efficiency's sake, replace them now, especially if you plan on paying someone else to do it.

If you're really strapped for cash, then yes - you can probably ignore the mounts as long as they're not failed. If they are failed, don't skip them.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Doing the mounts is an absolute no brainer if the shocks are being replaced anyway. Shock mounts are cheap and could save you from having to do the work again soon anyway to replace the mounts, as they are a failure item.

Rear shock mounts are easy, so if you want to penny pinch at this moment in time then you can if you're willing to replace them later down the road yourself. Otherwise, for efficiency's sake, replace them now, especially if you plan on paying someone else to do it.

If you're really strapped for cash, then yes - you can probably ignore the mounts as long as they're not failed. If they are failed, don't skip them.
    Perfect answer, thanks as always man and the rest of you guys, dunno what I would without ya'll
    Hankook Ventus V12

Perfect answer, thanks as always man and the rest of you guys, dunno what I would without ya'll

You get to reap the benefits of "been there done that" with regards to having to pick what to fix. I know your pain. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

You get to reap the benefits of "been there done that" with regards to having to pick what to fix. I know your pain. lol
    Yes true that, but I more appreciate the helpfulness in attitude and understanding as well... not many are that patient and considerate to actually answer without being critical or patronizing LOL ... If i had time and were like a hobbyist, all this would be FUN, but right now all I see is how much money I have to spend on this and to get the process done correctly ASAP without making some stupid mistakes because of these ahole or incompetent mechs I have to deal with.

Maybe one day one of these guys will finally come through and I'll be able to trust them.

The cheaper guy, he just agrees with everything I say to him about suggestions, and just keeps saying I'll do whatever you want" LMAO... I mean, if I get the info from you guys and I tell him to just do it and he does a perfect job, I guess that isn't a and way to do things as long as he can do the actual job... but kinda bothers me that he didnt even suggest that I should do both rear shocks, that I should also do the mount, that the coils are not that important right now, its like working with some robot slave.

Gotta love these first world problems huh
    Hankook Ventus V12

It sounds like the cheaper guy is an idiot. Take that with a grain of salt; he should have said something about replacing both shocks instead of just one, but he seems to be too agreeable just to get the work instead of having your best interests at heart.

My advice: get the shocks done first as that is a legit safety item. Then do the coils, as long as the misfiring or whatever the problem is isn't too bad. Since Tapatalk won't let me read the thread on the same page as my response, I can't read what the actual problem is so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast