Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Headunit Install - Unknown wire help!!

Hey all,

Does anyone know what this connector goes to?

Name:  Connection help.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  70.3 KB

It does not connect to the shifter indicator lights, the windows, or the hazards/unlock buttons. I don't remember pulling it off anything, so I am thinking it is some type of prewire or maybe something for manual transmissions that I don't need.

Further context - I am installing a new Avin Avant 4 in my convertible and had to run some wires from the trunk to the dash.
    I took the less traveled approach and ran the wires under the driver seat and into the center console instead of up and behind the cluster. That includes loosening up the center console/armrest area and taking off a lot of the trim around the shifter. I'm about to start reassembly but I found this wire, again thinking it was never connected and sitting under there and I pulled it forward with my wire fishing...

I felt pretty confident about everything up until this point. I might still post some pics and helpful links when it is all done!

Wanted to ask you all first!

Thanks!!

I am not 100 percent sure here but could be a pre wire for the lighted shifter in some manuals.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    I am not 100 percent sure here but could be a pre wire for the lighted shifter in some manuals.
    Thanks Oli77

After a lot more digging...

I am 90% sure this is for an alarm prewire. There is a similarly placed wire called out in the alarm install manual and appears to look identical to the part I found for it on real OEM when I googled the part number. I will know for sure it wasn't needed after I plug it all in (once seats are back in).

Name:  instructions.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  wire part.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  15.2 KB

Cool that you found out what that was all about. I guess you're car has no alarm.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Wait til you see the fat stack of loose wires under the arm rest for the mobile phone option. I traced it all the way back to the trunk and ended up removing 7lbs lol

I'm confused as to why there is alarm wiring in the center console area. Neither of my cars have alarm components in that location. The only interior component I have is mounted on the roof behind the moonroof, and is the case for both the sedan and the touring.

EDIT: I didn't think about the difference between verts and everything else. Need more caffeine.
    Last edited by az3579; 02-15-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

For all of you who are dying to know, car is up and running and no issues at all. Safe to say the wire was not needed!

I will get around to a writeup of helpful links to videos and references I used to hopefully save others who have a vert with factory nav many hours of research..

Nicely done!