Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Do I have adaptive headlights?

Hey all, I'm replacing the full headlights in my 2003 330i ZHP with OE equipment:

I got the numbers from realoem and the headlights themselves. I also plan to replace the wiring harnesses.

There are two part numbers for the wiring harness; one for cars with adaptive lighting, and one for cars without adaptive lighting.

How can I tell if my car has adaptive lighting from the VIN or the OE headlight numbers above? I've literally never driven it at night, and now the car is sitting at the airport for two weeks while on travel.

Any direction is most appreciated.

Adaptive headlights were only available on the facelift coupes. Auto-leveling, however, was present for all cars optioned with xenons.

Awesome - thank you!

Is there a particular reason you're buying brand new headlights and replacing all the wiring? Any input I have is dependent on the answer to that question.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Is there a particular reason you're buying brand new headlights and replacing all the wiring? Any input I have is dependent on the answer to that question.
    Curious about this as well

Probably because his car is wired for halogens and he is looking at xenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Probably because his car is wired for halogens and he is looking at xenon.

OP didn't mention anything about having halogens. But even in that case, the existing wiring can be reused. The only things new wiring would be needed for would be to wire up the Xenon shutters to the LCM and for auto leveling, but those can be done separately from the main wiring harness. Also some coding would be needed.

Auto leveling is more of a pain in the butt to deal with than it's worth IMO, and Xenon shutters would be easy to do.

Now if we were talking about wiring INSIDE the housing, that's a totally different story. Sure, new headlights would solve that, but that is FAR more money than needs to be spent. I rebuilt my internal headlight wiring entirely for not much cost.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

OP didn't mention anything about having halogens. But even in that case, the existing wiring can be reused. The only things new wiring would be needed for would be to wire up the Xenon shutters to the LCM and for auto leveling, but those can be done separately from the main wiring harness. Also some coding would be needed.

Auto leveling is more of a pain in the butt to deal with than it's worth IMO, and Xenon shutters would be easy to do.

Now if we were talking about wiring INSIDE the housing, that's a totally different story. Sure, new headlights would solve that, but that is FAR more money than needs to be spent. I rebuilt my internal headlight wiring entirely for not much cost.

As someone who recently rewired my car from halogen to xenon adding shutters and leveling is not as easy as it may sound if done right aka OE like with wire loom taping, etc. Now, xenon headlights wiring is available at ECS, to source just the shutters one would need to hunt for part # and availability which may not be possible. As far as leveling wiring it’s a complete DIY or a junk yard trips (many trips), because I’ve not seen anyone selling it.

Anyway, it was just a guess since 2 of you were asking same question.

Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    As someone who recently rewired my car from halogen to xenon adding shutters and leveling is not as easy as it may sound if done right aka OE like with wire loom taping, etc. Now, xenon headlights wiring is available at ECS, to source just the shutters one would need to hunt for part # and availability which may not be possible. As far as leveling wiring it’s a complete DIY or a junk yard trips (many trips), because I’ve not seen anyone selling it.

Anyway, it was just a guess since 2 of you were asking same question.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about the shutters. They are built into the Xenon light assembly; literally the only thing to do with that is to wire a shutter harness from the connector outside the headlight assembly going directly to the LCM.

I converted my touring from halogens to Bi-Xenons. All I had to do is swap the headlights in and finish the shutter wiring from the outside of the assembly to the LCM. I didn't bother with the leveling because it's not worth the effort.

There are 4 connectors for a Xenon headlight. One for leveling (which I will not need), one for the Xenon shutters (which needs to be wired to the LCM), and two 9006 connectors. Those 9006 connectors are the same between Xenon and halogen housings and can be reused.

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Do I have adaptive headlights?

I don't quite understand what you're saying about the shutters. They are built into the Xenon light assembly; literally the only thing to do with that is to wire a shutter harness from the connector outside the headlight assembly going directly to the LCM.

I converted my touring from halogens to Bi-Xenons. All I had to do is swap the headlights in and finish the shutter wiring from the outside of the assembly to the LCM. I didn't bother with the leveling because it's not worth the effort.

I know how it’s wired, I have probably 7-8 sets of headlights in my garage, modified and what not. To do halogens- > xenons OE like probably easier is replacing the whole headlight wiring. Anyway, it’s all esthetics and everyone would do to their tolerances of “good enough”

Besides, if one goes to spend that kind of money on new headlights I would wire leveling at any costs just to have a fully functioning xenons.