Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Squealing noise upon braking to a full stop

I've already replaced both front and rear brake pads and rotors in the last 3 months when they are nearing 20% end of their life. I supposed the indy shop had greased the new parts to prevent noise. When I press the brakes gently whether on a flat surface or humps, I get a linear squealing "geattttting" noise coming from the front of the car, wheel area supposedly. I can reproduce it every time I am about to come to a complete stop and not at the beginning of the braking process. I tried spraying CRC brake squeal silencer and brake cleaners generously, and the noise went away for 1 day and come back.

Any ideas, maybe there's a crack to the rubber or metal somewhere else I can visual look? It's very annoying knowing that I replaced everything and even the indy shop can't find it out.

330ci, 198k miles.
    Suspension refreshed 65k miles ago.

did you use OEM pads? only reason I'm asking, is that some aftermarket pads squeal at low speeds. Otherwise, I would say that you need to reinstall the pads and apply the anti-squeal/brake grease more liberally after cleaning the area.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    did you use OEM pads? only reason I'm asking, is that some aftermarket pads squeal at low speeds. Otherwise, I would say that you need to reinstall the pads and apply the anti-squeal/brake grease more liberally after cleaning the area.
    ditto
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

I had my indy BMW shop replaced them with regular OEM brake pads and rotors 8 months ago. I lived with this annoyance since I thought it would go away in a few months, but has not. This should have been like any prior brake jobs they did and they should have greased it. The brakes are not BMW brands. From your suggestion, it sounds like the shop needs to take the brake pads off and re-apply the anti-squeal all around the pads' surface. The pad behind the rotor needs spraying too, which I can't get it.

I only put BMW pads on daily drivers for this exact reason. But I will say its debatable as to whether the indy shop is responsible or not for making sure these don't make noise, just a thought.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

I've never had a problem putting on aftermarket pads. I just put a lot of CRC anti-squeal compound on. The only time I get squealing if I run a ceramic pad that does it at low speeds because it's not hot enough for them.

But I agree with GeorgeH, I don't think they are responsible for the noise especially since you didn't go OE.

I gave my car a good thorough hand washing today and it still made noise. I wonder if it has anything to do with my Koni FSD shocks or struts getting old since it is getting to be 70k miles now on them but I doubt it is these. Next weekend, I am expecting to put 1,000 miles on a road trip , trim some pads off. Lets see if that helped and afterwards if it continues to make noise, I will apply a new coat of CRC anti-squeal.