Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Side Mirror Question

Been having difficulty with my side mirrors - basically not working. Went to the junk yard and pulled a pair to replace mine. Come to find out - the mirrors come with different wiring - ribbon style vs 6-8 actual wires. On my '03 ZHP sedan, the mirror come with the ribbon style, unbeknown to me. Is the ribbon style only on ZHPs? or is it a 'face lift' thing? I'm trying to locate a pair of the ribbon style and they seem a bit difficult to find. Any thoughts would be very welcome. Thanks

Facelift sedans had side mirrors with ribbon cabling. Try eBay. I was able to source an extra set of (driver/passenger) side mirrors for my ZHP there...

Ok - facelift cars. Thanks - I'll look for sedans newer than '02. Do you know if coupe side mirrors will work on sedans?

No to coupe mirrors.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcinema View Post
    Do you know if coupe side mirrors will work on sedans?
    as PdZHP posted above, no they won't work... you need to get the sedan ribbon motor side mirrors.

You can purchase this used set of side mirrors (this is what I would recommend you getting)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/19484709819...QAAOSwGlJiDx86

Here's a used driver's side mirror on eBay that you can get

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14435979490...3ABFBM7vCltu9f

right now I don't see any passenger side mirrors with ribbon cabling... this is it for what's on eBay.

If you're going to buy the mirror motors brand new then expect to dish out lots of cash for them... currently their pricing is crazy...

Driver's side mirror motors

Passenger side mirror motors

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Facelift sedans had side mirrors with ribbon cabling. Try eBay. I was able to source an extra set of (driver/passenger) side mirrors for my ZHP there...
    Not all facelift sedans had ribbon motors. My early 2003 touring (12/2002 build) has wires instead of ribbons.

I think the switch probably happened 03/2003 and later, as there are several things that changed in 03/2003 for the "2003.5" model year (HVAC controls are the newer style, secondary MAF added for the M54B30 cars, 6-speed tranny replacing the 5-speed for 330's, addition of a third rear headrest for sedans, etc.)
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Not all facelift sedans had ribbon motors. My early 2003 touring (12/2002 build) has wires instead of ribbons.

I think the switch probably happened 03/2003 and later, as there are several things that changed in 03/2003 for the "2003.5" model year (HVAC controls are the newer style, secondary MAF added for the M54B30 cars, 6-speed tranny replacing the 5-speed for 330's, addition of a third rear headrest for sedans, etc.)
    My car had issues with these (ridiculously overpriced) mirror motors during my whole ownership. From looking into it back then this was exactly it. I had a 05/2003 with the ribbons. They were $300 a side back then and I never replaced them. $650+ is crazy. Especially since most yard cars probably all have the same issues so getting used ones isn't really feasible.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to 4 pull ur part junk yards and after 27 e46s, there were only 3 cars that had the ribbon mirrors. So I bought 2 sets at $44 each mirror. And yes, not all the 'facelift' cars had the ribbon style, some had the normal sm wire harness.

By chance did you snag one from a ZHP coupe (gloss baseplate, and ribbon connector)? I'd be interested.

No unfortunately I did not. I have never seen a ZHP at the junk yards - they're a bit of a unicorn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast