Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Interior Trim Fix

These trims have been falling off all over the place.

Do all of these have a purpose and needing to come off, i.e., is there a downside to gluing these permanently right on?

For example, I need to replace my rear left window regulator... will this trim be needed to pop off and back in if there are screws in there that need to be removed to make such repairs?

I am sure this has happened to others, so if we cannot perma-glue it, what's the best DYI, considering that these are all bending a lot so there will be a lot of negative pressure on the door so any average glue will not hold this in place.

FYI for one of the other trims, I did leave it outside for like 3 months with weights on both sides to "bend it back" and it did bend it back to about 95% of the original, so I guess that might work again, but maybe there is a better solution?

Name:  Trim.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  186.0 KB
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

I've had that happen to me. Tried to re-glue it and even epoxy it but it still came loose again. I gave up and replaced the trim.
    I think others have had success though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Is the cube trim not metal? Just heat it up and bend it back. I bought a trim (when I had a sedan) that was already broken, and I just used jb weld and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I've had that happen to me. Tried to re-glue it and even epoxy it but it still came loose again. I gave up and replaced the trim.
    I think others have had success though.
    With epoxy were you not worried that one day u might have to remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Is the cube trim not metal? Just heat it up and bend it back. I bought a trim (when I had a sedan) that was already broken, and I just used jb weld and it was fine.
    I dont think it is 100% metal but as I said in my OP i was able to bend back another one the way I stated, although it took a while and I did it that way because I did not want to risk cracking the plastic parts anywhere. Its hot here so that probably helped it shape back.

So maybe I try that with this part as well, and try to epoxy but again are we not worried about every having to take it off again?
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

The metal is just a decorative piece that is attached to the back plastic; there will never be a need to remove the decorative piece by itself.

The plastic piece comes off as a whole with the metal strip attached to it. If the trim itself needs to be removed, it's the plastic you're removing, not the metal piece.

As for bending it back, that depends on how badly it's bent. Mine is too far gone to bend back and have it look okay. As long as yours isn't crinkled up on the edges then it can probably be saved.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I recently re-glued all the trims on the door. I removed all adhesive from both the plastic piece and metal piece. Next, I made sure to wipe both surfaces with alcohol. Then, I used E6000 to glue them together. I clamped them with 4 small plastic clamps and let it cure for 24 hours. Finally, I used a black trim restorer I have called Solution Finish.

It has been about a month now and they are holding up well. The real test will be the summer months.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk