Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Final Stage Unit Removal

ZHPMafia Members:

I attempted to remove the Final Stage Unit (FSU) from a 2005 ZHP vert with no success. i gained access, removed the two torx screws and push the tab in the upper left corner toward the engine ... no release.

Had to take the vehicle to a Indy mechanic. They said there are two additional release points which I had no knowledge of. I believe this was an original part.

Can anyone tell me for my own understanding ... where are the two additional release points and how are they disengaged?

Thank you

I've seen them without screws, but never had an issue removing the FSR once getting my body into position! Check out YouTube videos for E46 final stage resistor, FSR or FSU removal - perhaps you'll get a better look. Good luck!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I've seen them without screws, but never had an issue removing the FSR once getting my body into position! Check out YouTube videos for E46 final stage resistor, FSR or FSU removal - perhaps you'll get a better look. Good luck!
    John, I looked at several videos including ShopLIfeTV but none showed additional attachment points. Maybe I'll ask the Indy mechanic if they kept the old part for me to inspect. The Behr had one additional attachment point in the upper left quadrant ... a short hook arm.

Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

Here is an image of my FSU taken by the mechanic ...

JPG image fails to upload for some reason ... unable to copy 'n paste

I asked the Indy mechanic to explain what I was not releasing (they claimed there were two additional attachment points) ... no reply.

The Indy mechanic installed a new Behr FSU but I would like to know what I was doing wrong. I searched and looked at other videos ... no furhter insight gained.

You image failed to upload.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

You image failed to upload.
    I know ... tried a different approach; saved a screenshot of the JPEG original.

NO further reply from the Indy mechanic about the two additional release points. I am wondering if there were two additional torx screws to remove. I had removed the two torx screws that are shown in very video about the subject.

Name:  Screenshot (899).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Screenshot (899).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  51.3 KB

Looks like an "04" on the manufacturing mark - might have been the original one & screwed down tightly. Most have been replaced & had some hardware left off.

I don't recall exactly how it attaches but I definitely remember prying/twisting/grunting with that thing for hours trying to figure it out.

Probably blocked out the memory due to the trauma

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I don't recall exactly how it attaches but I definitely remember prying/twisting/grunting with that thing for hours trying to figure it out.

Probably blocked out the memory due to the trauma

I spent two hours trying to remove it. Had to take a couple of breaks to re-group. I could wiggle it slightly but not that much. Ultimately, I had to have an Indy mechanic remove it. On the replacement (Behr), there was a small arm with a hook on it in the upper left corner. Since the Indy mechanic is not revealing what they did ... it shall remain a mystery.

I am seeking to purchase an E46 M3, so I could encounter this removal again.

Should anyone else have input ... I welcome it.