Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DIY Homelink Install for BMW E46 doityourself

The Homelink transmitter was an option on the e46, as well as a variety of other vehicles.
    The transmitters are widely available through most of the usual outlets, and can be had used as well.

Installation is about as easy as it gets.

Remove the sunroof switch panel from the car. Use a little finesse when removing it, but it should just pop right out.
    Disconnect the sunroof switch, as well as the microphone (if so equipped).

Here's a shot of the transmitter itself, along with the panel out of the car:

Turn the panel upside down after removing the sunroof switch and the microphone cover. Both of these just
    pop out of the panel.

You'll see a pre-scored area in the center of the panel. Cut this out using an appropriate knife, or plasma
    cutter.

Next, cut an "X" in the fabric where the homelink transmitter will go.

Next, install the transmitter - it was a tight fit but it'll eventually pop into place.

Installation in the car is pretty simple. You'll find a wire off to the side of the sunroof motor, and this will have the connector you need for the transmitter. Reconnect anything that was previously disconnected (sunroof switch, microphone, etc.) Route the wires out of the way and reinstall the panel.

Programming is pretty easy as well, although I found the instructions provided with the transmitter to be useless on my opener. I found a link online (http://www.coderetard.com/2008/10/01...-garage-doors/) and that worked perfectly.

Installation time: 20-30 minutes
    Installation Difficulty: 1 (anyone can do this!)

Thanks for posting this. Excellent DIY.

Bro..great job. I am doing this. I have a couple of requests.

1. Price & P/N of the transmitter.
    2. Do you have any pics of the wire by the sunroof motor?

Again, excellant job.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

here's the PN I used.....

It was about $140 new - they can be found used for anywhere from $50-$120 when I was looking. There's several variations, though, and I decided to buy a new one instead of trying to guess which one supported rolling codes, or didn't look like it came out of a dump truck.......

I don't have a photo of the wire; there's a few up there depending upon which options you have. The wire should be located over by the OEM microphone location; wrapped up in a bundle.
    - now with 5 speeds

Thanks Puck.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Just ordered a rolling code homelink off of eBay for $65. Thanks for the DIY

excellent! it's a small addition, but it's one that i really like. it's nice to not have to carry the garage door opener around anymore.....
    install is simple, probably take longer to program the remote than to install....
    - now with 5 speeds

Wow, that looks too easy. I am going to look for a home link now.

Thanks for the write up
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

awesome......it's one of my favorite additions to the car. really nice to not have to carry around the garage door opener anymore.....
    - now with 5 speeds

Ebay... $80

Adding it to my list. Thanks for the write-up!
    now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late,Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout
    Click on signature to add me on Facebook!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast