Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Tuning the ms45.1 for the ESS twin screw supercharger kits

Not sure where to post this here, but I posted this on e46f and know we're all MS45.1 guys here so you might find this helpful too.

SOLVED IT

Perfect cold starts
    Smooth power delivery straight to red line
    Smooth throttle action on and off throttle
    OEM-level drivability (just with more torque obviously)
    Correct fueling

All the things the ESS tune should've had, but didn't, and couldn't.

I’ve learned a lot during this long journey and I’ve posted most of the basics including scaling for larger injectors up in the wiki on ms4x.net. https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS45

More specific to positive displacement supercharger kits you need to make a few more corrections, which I think you should make for centrifugal kits too but it seems you can probably get away without it?

Anyway, the solution is with the intake manifold model and the torque reference tables.

There is a pressure quotient that will trigger full wide open throttle at about .950 (default) of the maximum airflow according to the intake manifold model. The intake manifold model must be increased to account for the higher airflow so that wide open throttle doesn’t happen way too soon (and suddenly) along the pedal travel.

Next the torque reference tables need to be rescaled for higher levels of mg/stk engine load as a result of the higher airflow. If these tables are left untouched then throttle will be limited based on the maximum mg/stk values in these tables (e.g. only 750mg/stk in stock form, or only 3/4 of what the twin screw will produce) as a “safety” function of the electronic throttle control, and you will never reach wide open throttle.

When adjusting these two sets of tables I would suggest only scaling the values above 2500 rpm or 100mg/stk or ~75nm of torque, because remember at low load and low rpm the bypass valve is open and under those conditions the engine management should be identical to stock.

Don’t forget to update c_maf_max_diag and ip_maf_1_diag__n__tps_av to appropriate values to prevent false alarm DTCs.

Also it should go without saying but be sure to dial back the ignition timing a bit, need to be safe here. I’m running at about 15-16 degrees of timing (21 is stock IIRC…) under full load and I’m just barely seeing the DME pull some timing every once in a while. If you run a larger pulley you can probably get a degree or more of timing back. I’d be real curious to see an experiment on the dyno: what makes more power, a small pulley with less timing or a larger pulley with more timing? I digress…

There are a few other tweaks I’ve made in my tune for pedal sensitivity, cold start fueling, raised idle to 850, disabled lower o2 sensors and sap delete, etc and I’ve added most of that to the wiki. Out of 2500 parameters in the ms45.1 I only modified about 40 total.

My tune was developed by me based on my car:

2003 ZHP Manual transmission
    Current BMW MS45.1 base firmware (7561520)
    ESS TS2 kit using slightly smaller 79mm (stock ts2 is 83/85mm)
    Bosch 42lb green giant injectors (stock ts2 is red 30lb)
    E46 M3 fuel pump (stock ts2 uses stock fuel pump)
    Catless headers
    SAP delete

Disclaimer: I’m not a tuner, I’m just a stubborn guy with high standards when it comes to my car and what ESS gave me was junk. I’ve done my best to figure out how to tune the car “the right way”, no hacks, patch jobs, or tricks. Use this information at your own risk, or work with an experienced tuner.

Frank Smith has a copy of my tune and can handle your custom tuning needs, and I’ll be posting my tune publicly on bimmerlabs.com shortly.

Huge thanks to Frank Smith and Hassmachine for their support and tools, without them I wouldn't have figured it out.

AJ @ ESS can kiss my butt.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Nice. Yeah that's what I was going to do as well. Basically just run the ESS tune for a couple years until the warranty is out, then to Frank Smith.

I've finally gotten my tune to a place that I consider it finished, and, I've finally gotten around to packaging it up to share. Its been quite good for a while, I've enjoyed many track days and have daily driven the car all along. But more recently I dialed in the fuel injector dead times and minimum injection times for the Bosch 42lb green giants and finally adjusted the cold starts to a point I'm quite happy with everything. The car starts and drives like OEM, and pulls like a train. This is how it should have been delivered when I bought the kit from ESS Tuning 5 years ago, but sometimes "drivable" just isn't good enough, and sometimes you just have to do things yourself.

I'm going to provide a link to a copy of my tune in case anyone would like to take a look. You are welcome to use it, but this file is provided as-is without any warranty. Use at your own risk, do with as you please.

EDIT: Moved to GitHub, and released a new better version

https://github.com/rkneeshaw/MS45.1-ESS-TS2

Ryan
    Last edited by rkneeshaw; 06-03-2022 at 05:44 PM.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Cool, this may be useful if I ever get mines installed

Updated this tune quite significantly.

Based on some new information, there were some things I was doing wrong in the old tune (e.g. the method used to delete the SAP and adjust for deleted cats), and some things I've learned how to handle better (e.g. setting injector sizing, timing adjustments based on intake temperatures, lambda adjustments, cold starts). These changes and more resulted in even better drivability that is hard to explain, things like smoothness on/off throttle or when shifting, or even how smooth the power delivery is through the RPM's and throttle sensitivity.

I've moved this to a github repository for better version control, documentation, and publication:

https://github.com/rkneeshaw/MS45.1-ESS-TS2
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP