Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Are the trailing arms for the ZHP different than for the standard E46?

Currently doing the rear suspension on the ZHP, including the subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings, and control arm bushings.

I took my trailing arm to a shop to do the work. When he removed the upper trailing arm bushing/ball joint on the left trailing arm and tried to install the new one, he found it slipped right through, so he stopped and called. At first I suspected a bad part, despite being Lemförder, so I ordered a Hutchinson (also OEM) replacement. That didn't fit, so I went to the dealership and had them order the genuine part, THOSE also didn't fit. They were all to small by about 0.1mm.

Looking at the actual trailing arm bushing that was removed, it was close, but not exactly the same as the new OEM bushings I had. It was also different from the bushings on the other side. A slight difference, the inside was chamfered where the bolt goes. There also weren't any visible part numbers or anything like that.

Because I don't have a bushing that will fit this trailing arm, I need to get a new one. The part numbers written on my old ones are:

1097 043 903 201 790
    and
    1097 043 903 201 791

These numbers don't seem to exist anywhere.

This is now turning into a complete mess. I hope and pray the bushing/ball joint for the other side trailing arm (that appeared to match) actually fits. Regarding the other trailing arm? I don't have a bushing that fits. I think I need a new trailing arm, but if I do get that, I'll probably have to replace the bushings.

This is all ridiculous and a bit confusing. To add to the confusion, the right trailing arm has been replaced, but the left has that weird bushing/ball joint that doesn't fit.
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 06-28-2022 at 12:48 PM.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken View Post
    Currently doing the rear suspension on the ZHP, including the subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings, and control arm bushings.

I took my trailing arm to a shop to do the work. When he removed the upper trailing arm bushing/ball joint on the left trailing arm and tried to install the new one, he found it slipped right through, so he stopped and called. At first I suspected a bad part, despite being Lemförder, so I ordered a Hutchinson (also OEM) replacement. That didn't fit, so I went to the dealership and had them order the genuine part, THOSE also didn't fit. They were all to small by about 0.1mm.

Looking at the actual trailing arm bushing that was removed, it was close, but not exactly the same as the new OEM bushings I had. It was also different from the bushings on the other side. A slight difference, the inside was chamfered where the bolt goes. There also weren't any visible part numbers or anything like that.

Because I don't have a bushing that will fit this trailing arm, I need to get a new one. The part numbers written on my old ones are:

1097 043 903 201 790
    and
    1097 043 903 201 791

These numbers don't seem to exist anywhere.

This is now turning into a complete mess. I hope and pray the bushing/ball joint for the other side trailing arm (that appeared to match) actually fits. Regarding the other trailing arm? I don't have a bushing that fits. I think I need a new trailing arm, but if I do get that, I'll probably have to replace the bushings.

This is all ridiculous and a bit confusing. To add to the confusion, the right trailing arm has been replaced, but the left has that weird bushing/ball joint that doesn't fit.
    Trailing arms are exactly the same as any other 330i, not sure where the issue that you've run into might be originating from.

The trailing arms on the ZHP are the same as the 330. They have a ball joint on the upper wishbone and a bushing on the lower control arm connection. The M3 has ball joints on both upper and lower connections to the trailing arm.

You can choose to replicate either setup with no ill effects. If you want all ball joints, then just buy 4x p/n 33306852895. Otherwise get two of them and two of 33326771828. You need specialized tools to press them.