Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New FOB Key at Dealer almost $300

Local dealer, $284 for a new FOB.

Tried replacing battery, didn't work.

What do you guys do... I thought it was like $180 before, gezuz krist.

Have any of you recently succeeded in replacing the battery on the key and had it work for any extended time?

I am pretty handy with engineering stuff but I have heard mixed results about this and know some guys who just bought a new FOB anyways.

So basically, if you do everything perfect, is it still possible to get this old FOB working? I am willing to give it another try since cash is tight right now, have other repairs to make and more bills coming....
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

I have purchased 3 key fobs in past year from the local stealership in LA.
    First one I got raped at $240 out the door, and second one for $220.
    Different service advisors give you different pricing.

Ordered a third one a month ago through my indy shop for $175 (they ordered from same dealer).

Pricing is all over the place but just depends on who you know

What exactly about your key isn't working? The internal battery only controls the lock/unlock/trunk functions. The electronics in the key that actually start the car are powered by the inductive ring that surrounds the ignition barrel.

A few years back I got a new key for my sedan here, and it was 182.55 including shipping:

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...6955748?c=az0y

I had to provide the VIN and proof of ownership, and they make the key, code it to your car, and send it out. The key will be able to start your car when it arrives, but you'll still have to program the locking functions just as the dealer would if they were to order the key for you. It only takes a few minutes, programming steps below:

https://bmw-key-replacement.com/bmw-...w-diamond-key/

I just made my own keys. Made several keys for less than the cost of 1 from the dealer.

It involves buying key blanks from eBay that have replaceable batteries in them, then ordering a key programmer and installing/operating the software for the programmer I have some instructions somewhere... Removing and reinstalling the EWS is the hardest part and even that is relatively easy. Cut the keys at a hardware store, pair them with the car, and you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by az3579; 08-23-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Check this link, they offer the key for $174. Less than $200 delivered to your door.

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...86-66126955748

Edit: I just noticed ///Mark_D posted the same link.
    Last edited by fredo; 08-23-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Check this link, they offer the key for $174. Less than $200 delivered to your door.

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...86-66126955748

Edit: I just noticed ///Mark_D posted the same link.
    Rats - had no idea this existed. I was under the impression that you had to get it from the dealership because they physically had to verify you in person as the owner of the car.

Either way I spent $280 and don' regret it - the daily convenience of keyless entry was worth it after the month long drag of my fob not working

Just the remote functions, un/lock, trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ///Mark_D View Post
    What exactly about your key isn't working? The internal battery only controls the lock/unlock/trunk functions. The electronics in the key that actually start the car are powered by the inductive ring that surrounds the ignition barrel.

A few years back I got a new key for my sedan here, and it was 182.55 including shipping:

https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/...6955748?c=az0y

I had to provide the VIN and proof of ownership, and they make the key, code it to your car, and send it out. The key will be able to start your car when it arrives, but you'll still have to program the locking functions just as the dealer would if they were to order the key for you. It only takes a few minutes, programming steps below:

https://bmw-key-replacement.com/bmw-...w-diamond-key/
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

Botond made two keys for my ZHP this year and so far they have been working perfectly. He has the equipment to program the key to your car and made the process look easy. Only thing I had to do after was get the key cut at a hardware store so thanks to Botond I now have three keys for my ZHP.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Botond made two keys for my ZHP this year and so far they have been working perfectly. He has the equipment to program the key to your car and made the process look easy. Only thing I had to do after was get the key cut at a hardware store so thanks to Botond I now have three keys for my ZHP.
    Which store can cut auto keys? I tried HD and they could not do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AM1GO View Post
    Which store can cut auto keys? I tried HD and they could not do it for me.
    Try a neighborhood hardware store vs. big box.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast