Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Man I need to get my notifications working again...

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here but question:

I was always of the understanding that a lot of BMW owners hated iDrive. My dad used to have a 2011 (I think) 550i and we jointly HATED the iDrive interface, layout, functionality, etc etc etc. IMO, carplay functions seamlessly. Are you just looking for a challenge in terms of retrofitting something that is factory or has iDrive gotten better?
    As others have said, the early systems were about as enjoyable as war crimes. The newer systems are nice, such as the iDrive 6 unit I have. I enjoy the challenge and this is the first of many "one of a kind" projects I'll be working on. The iDrive screen will take up nearly the entire space in the center there without protruding, while most HU's require space for buttons on the left and right. I like the favorite buttons in iDrive. If you haven't used it, you hover your fingers over the number buttons and they serve as bookmarks. Hover to see what they do, tap to go to the shortcut, or hold to shortcut to what you currently are doing. I can be anywhere I need to be in the headunit at the press of a button. And if not, the iDrive controller is fairly intuitive and has five more favorite buttons. Still not enough? The screen is touch! The auto-brightness is great too (unlike my dynavin). If I thought there was room for a heads up display, I'd do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    The iDrive on the latest BMWs (lci f30s onwards?) is probably the best infotainment on the market, IMO at least.

But I’m not a fan of the newest iDrive 8 with a giant rectangular layout.
    Well put. I am putting in iDrive 6 which I am personally a huge fan of. I actually took most of next week off too to spend time on this (and my fuel pump replacement). iDrive 4 in pre-LCI F3x isn't bad either, but iD6 is a pretty decent leap.

Bench harness is almost together….

We don't know what that means man! Post pics!
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

Alright. So all I need is power and ground right now. I just need to decide the best way to wire for that level of amperage. I used an E60 fuse box to protect all the computers from my stupidity, and need to do the fourth and final check on all my pinouts. I decided to go with the "just get it all connected" approach, and I think this image perfectly exemplifies how that makes me feel.

Name:  68533931538__9704D183-866C-4BCE-8ED0-2DF65859AE84.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  653.7 KB

If I were to do it again, I'd sacrifice my self-love a little more and have some connectors mixed in here, but I chose pain, and that's where we'll go from here. Video will follow once it's powered up.

edit: I also am choosing not to add the OBD port yet because that's only needed for coding. That will surely need to follow fairly soon here, but most of these modules are from the same car and it should be fairly happy...aside from missing...doors, headlights, tail lights, the rear electronic module (have one though!), ABS and the engine computer...

I had a work trip and then got really sick (not COVID). I just need to double check all my wires and then power this on, I'm really excited!

Welp! I got the entire bench together, double checked all my wires with continuity tests, gave everything 13V and!!!!! nothing. Sigh. Reaching out to more F series specific forums on what I'm missing in my test bench.

An old friend of mine has reconnected with me and has been more involved in helping me complete this project. I am away for the holidays but expect to have a fully working bench before the new year. It's kind of fitting, since last New Years Eve was the day I emulated my first CAN message. Big updates to come...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12