Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 TiAg ZHP

Absent for a while as I was holding off on purchases until black friday...managed to get a cheap H&R touring cup kit to hold me over until coilovers. Purchased a sent of strut reinforcement plates and the rogue engineering RSM as well.

List of things replaced:
    -Original headlight bulbs replaced with OSRAM Laser
    -PS cap o-ring, original fluid
    -Xenon level sensor connector

Found the xenon level sensor unplugged and tried to replug it in. Seems like years of being left open to environment caused the connector gasket to swell and tear. Connector seems to be a generic TE connector and found a dodge caravan harness that had to same connector. For anyone interested, 68018956AC is the PN for the connector. Costed $10 instead of $40 for the OEM BMW. I depinned the new wiring and just used the connector housing from the dodge harness.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but my wife did get me a new shift know as a Christmas present. The taller "anatomic" shift knob (PN 25117896884). While the ZHP stock knob has a great weight and shape, I could not get used to the shortened height. Getting the gear into 5th felt like a reach and the most annoying part was not being able to use the armrest comfortably (I paid for a car, I want to use all of it! lol). The anatomic shift knob keeps the same weight and shape as the zhp knob while just slightly raising the height. Now I can shift comfortably with the armrest down. Also my first time removing a BMW knob...should've moved my face further away lol....

Progress with H&R Touring cup kit:

Getting the springs compressed is incredibly frustrating...will be taking it to a shop with a better compressor. Will hopefully complete the job by tomorrow and get some pictures in.

Also noticed that the new SACHs strut mounts seems to be a bit taller than the original, similar to this thread:
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...r-strut-mounts

The PN on my oem strut mounts seem to be different. Anyone know the difference between 31336770568 (listed as original E46) vs 31336760943 (original on my ZHP)?

Is this the true cause for the height difference or is the rubber really worn down like suggested in the above thread?

The strut mount compresses overtime. Similar to the engine mounts.

However (SACHS 802-066)from the z4 can be used on the e46 to lower the front by 10mm

I usually order lemforder brand strut mounts.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Long time no update due to family visiting over the holidays...

Completed the H&R cup kit install along with reinforcement plates/mounts (went with rogue engineering for front and rear). Instead of taking the springs to a shop, decided to just purchase a spring compressor since I seem to use them often. Worked like a charm and much sturdier than the rental ones from auto stores!

Was wondering if the springs even did anything with the addition of the reinforcement plates and new strut mounts (Cup kit was rated for only a 0.75" drop). I can't fit my regular jack underneath the front bumper anymore so it definitely did drop. I really wanted to keep the car near stock height so this is perfect for me!

Tried to restore the driver side leather seat. Should hold up for now until I can replace the front seats with something else.

Also found this today while fixing the rear bumper sag...thought it was from someone's rear license plate screw but looks like it was hit multiple times. Bastards..... probably expected of a daily I guess. Any suggestions for future repair would be appreciated!

Finally a weekend with good weather and some time for a drive. Dusted off the camera in case I found a good location to stop, which I did! Was at a dead end road that lead to a closed lot (seemed to be closed for a few years according to google)

Few other updates:

-Oil light has been going off but weirdly I couldn't find any leaks. Oil level hasn't been noticeably going down (always in the middle) so thought it might've been the oil level sensor. Bought a new oil level sensor and oil change kit and voila! Leak was at the oil level sensor
    Looks like it's just been collecting in the subframe reinforcement.

-Replaced a few PS hoses and the reservoir.

-Replaced the RTABs with these beauties and finally got an alignment. I didn't realize they offered a free tool loan which really helped since I didn't want to spend another ~$100 on another tool...:

Car looks great! and nice find on the electrical connector (68018956AC)! How'd you find it? What did you use to clean and restore your seat bolster. It looks pretty good.

Thanks for documenting and sharing your projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Car looks great! and nice find on the electrical connector (68018956AC)! How'd you find it? What did you use to clean and restore your seat bolster. It looks pretty good.

Thanks for documenting and sharing your projects.
    Thank you! Hmmm...I don't recall how actually I found the connector. Usually involves just google page hopping. As for the seats, I went with a colourlock dye and filler kit.

A few updates since I last posted. Again, sorry for the terrible photos. Most of the time I just want to finish up the job and get the car back on the road.

-Xtrons headunit
    Finally got a new headunit on! Can't live without android auto....

-Euro tails, side markers, and front turn signals

Mini story and first parts ordering headache under the ZHP ownership! The original amber turn signals were leaking so I figured it's a great time to go euro clears. I placed an order on Turners for a set of the ULO front turn signals. OEM must mean good quality right? WELL I received a set of front turn signals in ULO boxes but they looked nothing like the images on the website. Fitment was awful and the gasket immediately began to peel after removing them from the box.

Photo of the fronts when I received them. Looked mostly okay from the front. Was wondering why the front turn signal bulb was removed from the passenger side light which should have been my first red flag. Turns old the housing was molded so poorly the bulb socket would not lock into place.

Separated gasket

Notice there are NO markings on the housing. The website and the original turn signals have at least a marking indicating which way to turn the bulb holders. The only time I see examples with no markings are depo lights or random chinese lights. Funny enough I had a set of temporary DEPOs and they fit waaaay better than these ULO(?)

I believe someone probably ordered the ULOs and returned them to Turners with cheap chinese lights? But if they did, I'm surprised Turners would sell returned items as new....This was definitely a -1 for me with Turners especially since I have to pay return shipping on these.

The 2nd time around, I decided to give Turners one more try and ordered their GENUINE Front corner lights. They were backordered until June which I was fine with (ordered DEPO fronts in the meantime since I already installed my OE side markers). Waited for probably 2 weeks with no updates and then I received an email informing me the price was now doubled instead of the advertised price...-1 again for taking so long to inform me about a price hike AFTER I placed the order. Canceled and decided to risk the ULOs again but from FCP this time (FCP was out of stock the first time). The FCP ones were definitely much better and came with all the correct markings...Anyways, will probably not order from Turners or the whole ECS umbrella for a while....

No nice photos yet of the new lights but here's a few I snapped while changing the brake lines to stop techs. Even gutted and on a lift the E46 looks amazing.

-New stoptech brake lines + fluid
    No photos really or story here. Finally decided to replace the lines as the rubber on the fronts were cracking and falling apart.

-M56 Valve Cover

Noticed the car was getting worse mpg, feeling sluggish, and losing oil again...Checked the valve cover and noticed it was leaking from the top again. Checked the CCV and noticed plenty of oil going to the intake. Guessing the CCV failed again even though it was the "OE" Supplier kit from FCP. Decided to just go the M56 route like on my old E46 touring just in case the plastic cover was damaged. Fingers crossed but this definitely improved power and mpg.

After an hour of scrubbing with Simple Green HD

Seemed like a shame to toss the old beauty cover...so onto the wall of things it goes!

Had a nice sunny day to myself, so took a drive and some quick photos! M56 Valve cover also looks dry so that's some good news...

Replaced the M56 Diaphragm and cap with a paris/argyride cap.

Finally putting the old russian made diaphragm to good use. I purchased it a few years ago for my old e46 touring but sold the car before that happened. Almost threw it away thinking I wouldn't be back in an e46...

Snapped a few photos from a night drive. Was scouting a few potential photo locations.

Last edited by S2Ace; 06-19-2023 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Broken link

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast