Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Throttle absolutely crazy after installing new throttle body

Hey all,

Have been trying to figure out throttle bucking for a little while now. Last week I decided I would just replace the throttle body (after almost everything else has been replaced). Installed it earlier today, car started, drove off.

However, while driving, it went into limp mode. Before turning the car off, the throttle was revving wildly. Did the throttle adaptations reset, car started, seemed fine. Drove off again.

And limp mode continues to return. Have tried clearing the adaptations in a few different ways, which seems to reset the car, but limp mode always returns.

DME code is P1635.

The new throttle body is a VDO unit. Unplugged the battery while replacing it. Cleaned the connector with electronics cleaner before plugging it back in. And made sure the plug was connected ALL the way in.

What am I missing? I am about to leave town and cannot replace the old throttle body in the car right now. <help!>
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

I looked at your previous posts here and don't see a reference to your current problem with throttle bucking...Can you elaborate on the problem and what you have done?

It's pretty rare to have to replace a throttle body on these (M54) cars.

Did you buy a new throttle body or a used one?

Please post the description of any codes you list. I went ahead and looked up code P1635 which is related to the throttle body.
    How did you reset the throttle body after installing it?

You really a better code reader - not a P code reader - something that reads BMW Specific codes. A dedicated laptop with INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4, Creator or a Foxwell

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot05 View Post
    I looked at your previous posts here and don't see a reference to your current problem with throttle bucking...Can you elaborate on the problem and what you have done?

It's pretty rare to have to replace a throttle body on these (M54) cars.

Did you buy a new throttle body or a used one?

Please post the description of any codes you list. I went ahead and looked up code P1635 which is related to the throttle body.
    How did you reset the throttle body after installing it?

You really a better code reader - not a P code reader - something that reads BMW Specific codes. A dedicated laptop with INPA and BMW Scanner 1.4, Creator or a Foxwell
    Correct, the throttle issues were not posted here--they are the result of trying to get a tune right. I'm working on that with my tuner.

That's an exhaustively long saga that I'm not interested in going into now. It's not related to the sudden onset throttle body issue--you'll have to trust me on that one.

The throttle body is brand new.

You can find the complete description of the code in question here: https://www.dtcdecode.com/BMW/P1635
    I have a laptop with both softwares installed--neither of them are functional right now.

Edit: throttle adaptations reset performed by method 1 here: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...tions.1125131/
    2005 Jet Black ZHP Sedan "Adriana" || TunedByDaniel || BMW Alarm + Fuel Lock || ORION V4s || Eagle Eyes || 435i Coupe Sport Seats || Perforated Leather X5 M-Sport Wheel || FLOW Designs Lip

Quote Originally Posted by usinjin View Post
    Correct, the throttle issues were not posted here--they are the result of trying to get a tune right. I'm working on that with my tuner.

That's an exhaustively long saga that I'm not interested in going into now. It's not related to the sudden onset throttle body issue--you'll have to trust me on that one.

The throttle body is brand new.

You can find the complete description of the code in question here: https://www.dtcdecode.com/BMW/P1635
    I have a laptop with both softwares installed--neither of them are functional right now.

Edit: throttle adaptations reset performed by method 1 here: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...tions.1125131/
    I would get your laptop with software working. I am not the procedures you linked will actually reset your throttle adaptations. I know you can do it for sure in INPA...

You might post your issue in the tuner section (or other subforum) of the E46fanatics forum.

I think the throttle body was replaced on my 1999 E46 323i by Terry Sayther Auto. This was around 2010 so I dont have the car or service recs anymore. My only symptom was the Christmas tree lights (all warnings on dashboard stayed on). The car was still driving fine.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    I think the throttle body was replaced on my 1999 E46 323i by Terry Sayther Auto. This was around 2010 so I dont have the car or service recs anymore. My only symptom was the Christmas tree lights (all warnings on dashboard stayed on). The car was still driving fine.
    Thanks Fredo. Got it working with INPA! Didn't fix my issue...bad diaphragm on my M56 vc..at least I figured it out :D