Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

considering new clutch, go with OEM Luk or go with a steel SMF for occasional track day? Non-adjustable clutch options?

Since it's wintertime I'm in no rush to get my car ready. Im doing the flex disc and shifter bushings and tranny mounts, so replacing the clutch is just a couple more bolts away, so I figure I do it now while it's easily accessible.

Im on 194K miles and I have no idea when the clutch was done, but I have a good feeling the clutch is original, just based on the condition of the rest of the car.

I've done a lot of reading and most folks seem to hate the Single Mass Flywheel Conversion, but all the accounts I've read have either been the valeo SMF conversion, or the blue UUC or JB lightweight aluminum flywheel.

There are a couple of steel flywheel kits with sprung clutches available for our 6 speeds:

clutch masters fx100: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Clutch-M...3-HD00-SK.html
    syncro design works: https://syncrodesignworks.com/collec...nt=43086994190

This seems like a decent in-between for comfort, but the Valeo kit has a sprung clutch I believe, and a flywheel with similar weight to stock, and a lot of folks still hated it.

I can get a Luk OEM flywheel and clutch kit for about $600 from rock auto, so its the most economical and safe option. I don't really need something super comfortable but this will be on the road far more than on a track, so want to avoid something hardcore like a 10lb aluminum wheel, but at the same time it would be nice to get the engine to respond a bit quicker with a slightly lighter flywheel.

I would like to atleast try to get rid of the SAC (Self Adjusting Clutch) mechanism, if I do stay with OEM. Anyone know if this is possible?

Also anyone have experience with either the clutch masters or syncro design works clutch with steel flywheel? Or should I just stay with OEM and call it a day?

What did you end up with? I need a clutch now but also don’t want to spend $1k and have a super difficult to drive set up

What do you mean “super difficult to drive set up”? I haven’t installed yet but decided to go stock LUK. Only $550 for clutch and flywheel from RockAuto. I’ve read so many stories about folks not liking the single mass flywheels. And it seems the stock clutched go like 200k miles so I’m probably never going to have to replace this thing again. I also live near NYC so want to ease of use from dual mass in traffic.

I don’t want a clutch/flywheel set up that engages like a light switch, nor do I want a super heavy pedal from a crazy strong pressure plate. I won’t be using a dual mass flywheel as I track enough that I’ll probably grenade it

if you track that much then I'd get a steel single mass from clutchmasters. More weight than aluminum so wont be so touchy. It was my second choice but I most likely wont track my car much.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I'm still on the original clutch nearing 200k as well so I've looked into clutch options too. I'm in the same clubsport type of use scenario for my car. In the end I figured I'd do a stock clutch + dual mass flywheel as well. I mean the original has lasted this long and endured some track days, so if another OEM set lasts about that long again, I'd say that's money well spent.

The other issue is that any amount of lightening the flywheel increases the chances of the oil pump nut backing out, which I definitely do not want to deal with unless I do the proper fix (chain tensioner).

I will say though, that Syncro Design Works kit is quite tempting...
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT