Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Getting new Bluetooth Stereo with Display?

Time for new stereo that can support my Android phone... I like to listen to Youtube and other stuff on my phone, so bluetooth is a requirement.

Questions:

1) How useful will a display unit be? Currently I am propping my phone on the dash for GPS etc., but if I can show GPS or whatever on the stereo display, that might be better in case I get a call/text or something... But then we have to move the climate control panel down below so additional work and you lose extra storage so wanting to hear from all of you the possible pain points and benefits

2) What are the things to look for in a new stereo? Are the all equally compatible in size, does it have to be just for e46, any specs that are critical for me to pay attention to...

I found these 2 videos useful, are these 2 stereos good or how would I search for the right one? (these are with display)

Eonon GA8150A

XTRONS

And then there is one with no display, if I dont really need that feature, something like this?
    Alpine UTE-73BT Advanced Bluetooth Mech-Less Digital Media Receiver (Does not Play CDs)

Thanks!
    __________________________________________________ ____
    2003 ZHP 4dr | 145,000 miles (ACTUAL before RIP) | BBS 17"
    Hankook Ventus V12
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 XL
    [ Staggered on square (17x8.5 +38) ]

I went with the AVIN4 head unit for my ZHP. It is android based and looks much more stock than the Enon or Xtron units. Very pleased with this head unit.

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...es-e46-m3.html

Looks good except for the gray knobs, that looks little weird....

So if i wanted to play my saved youtube vids on it, would I just run yt on it and play or send my phone yt to it via bluetooth?

Does it have good voice command operation? I am wondering if that will also dupe on my phone so then that will be weird...

And is $400 about what we expect to pay for a full display radio?

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I went with the AVIN4 head unit for my ZHP. It is android based and looks much more stock than the Enon or Xtron units. Very pleased with this head unit.

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...es-e46-m3.html
    Hankook Ventus V12

Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    Looks good except for the gray knobs, that looks little weird....
    Knob is black. When I took those pictures it was both the lighting and dirty knobs which has since been cleaned.

So if i wanted to play my saved youtube vids on it, would I just run yt on it and play or send my phone yt to it via bluetooth?
    I set up my iPhone for personal hotspot then have my radio head unit connect to my iPhone then I can run YouTube videos to my heart's content

Does it have good voice command operation? I am wondering if that will also dupe on my phone so then that will be weird...
    I haven't tried using voice command on my setup as having this feature is not important to me.

And is $400 about what we expect to pay for a full display radio?
    the radio with all the upgrades including the Navi software will run into the $900 region which is what I have in my ZHP. You get what you pay for. Simple as that.

Has anyone else have any other suggestions.... the one above is out of stock except for the premium upgrades which I dont really need...

And dont these simply show the Android map on your phone on its screen? Why do you need any subscription or upgrade, seems scammy for that... I would think the screen just mirrors whatever is on your phone?
    Hankook Ventus V12

My vote is stock radio with a BlueBus and a nice dash mount for your phone.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

CAK,

I was researching head units solely for the backup camera capabilities and I've pretty much concluded that the Avant 4 is the one I'd like to buy. I saw that you spent about $900 on yours and I cart'd my future purchase and it came out to about the same. I have some questions for you if you don't mind:

• Which CPU did you get? Is load up time, switching between modes fast enough?

• Did you get the IBUS USB module? Useful?

• Is it necessary to buy the Autodongle? Or is there a way to directly plug in your phone? I don't care for bluetooth integration.

• Did you buy the climate control relocation kit? I saw another brand/company saying you can simply stuff it where the ashtray currently is. It didn't look so great.

• NAV software: how do you upgrade the maps? Is it even offered?

Thanks for any answers!

Quote Originally Posted by TXRedDevil View Post
    CAK,

I was researching head units solely for the backup camera capabilities and I've pretty much concluded that the Avant 4 is the one I'd like to buy. I saw that you spent about $900 on yours and I cart'd my future purchase and it came out to about the same. I have some questions for you if you don't mind:
    To start off with the AVIN 4 head unit I got was given to me because a friend of mine wanted integrated CarPlay in his head unit and the Avin 4 head unit, although it does come with CarPlay functionality, was not good enough for him so he offered this head unit to me and I gladly accepted.

• Which CPU did you get? Is load up time, switching between modes fast enough?
    I have this: Qualcomm | 4G LTE | 6GB RAM | 128GB ROM | 8-core CPU

This CPU is AVIN's top end CPU and memory. For my purposes I have no complaints. I can go between music and OBD II display which is what I typically have up on my head unit when driving.

• Did you get the IBUS USB module? Useful?
    Yes, my head unit came with this module and I use this all the time when driving.

• Is it necessary to buy the Autodongle? Or is there a way to directly plug in your phone? I don't care for bluetooth integration.
    If you have to have CarPlay then yes you need this. I don't use CarPlay so even though my head unit came with it, the dongle was apparently paired to my friend's car/iPhone and did not work when plugged into my car when I tried using it. Nevertheless, I really don't use CarPlay and since installing this head unit did not need this functionality.

• Did you buy the climate control relocation kit? I saw another brand/company saying you can simply stuff it where the ashtray currently is. It didn't look so great.
    Yes I purchased a brand new one from ECS Tuning and installed this in my M3 and took the one in my M3 to put into my ZHP. You need this part.

• NAV software: how do you upgrade the maps? Is it even offered?

Thanks for any answers!
    My head unit came with the optional Navi map (microSD 32GB memory card) this head unit uses and I can call up the nav software to use the navigation mode. It is a $50 option.

For my ZHP I also ordered the optional TPMS internal sensors to put in each wheel. Once they were installed and the receiver module plugged in the back of the head unit, the AVIN automatically downloaded the required TPMS monitoring software and paired to each sensor giving me temp and tire pressure readings for each tire.

I really like this setup and it works very well for me.

Has anyone else have any other suggestions.... the one above is out of stock except for the premium upgrades which I dont really need...

And dont these simply show the Android map on your phone on its screen? Why do you need any subscription or upgrade, seems scammy for that... I would think the screen just mirrors whatever is on your phone?
    I went with the Dynavin D8 Plus unit with the BavSound Stage 1 Speaker upgrades in my '04 Cabrio and all I need now is an Amp and a small sub in the Trunk Passthru. While the Dynavin is more costly then the other Chinese variants it's also a better customer support solution should issues ensue. Having wired and wireless CarPlay with full-time WAZE and Spotify availability for those long backroad runs replete with hidden Johnnys behind every other tree! is a huge plus!

Tried to insert a couple photos of the finished product unsuccessfully...

Quote Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
    I went with the Dynavin D8 Plus unit with the BavSound Stage 1 Speaker upgrades in my '04 Cabrio and all I need now is an Amp and a small sub in the Trunk Passthru. While the Dynavin is more costly then the other Chinese variants it's also a better customer support solution should issues ensue. Having wired and wireless CarPlay with full-time WAZE and Spotify availability for those long backroad runs replete with hidden Johnnys behind every other tree! is a huge plus!
    Are we talking over $700 here or can I get this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266428301834
    Hankook Ventus V12