Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Steering Pump Failed... Options?

Hey gang - haven't posted in a while, and like a long lost relative when you win the lottery, I've returned because I need something.

My PS pump just gave up the ghost today - no warning at all; no whining, no odd steering feel, nada. It worked on the way to the office then, ironically, I started it at lunchtime to take it to the mechanic for a A/C system recharge and - bam - no power steering. (There wasn't a 'bam' sound - it just didn't work. )

While the mechanic was doing the A/C recharge he looked at the P/S and said he thought it was the pump. I've read the shafts on these fail around 100k miles so it makes sense. As far as I know this is the original pump; car is now at ~149k miles. I also don't want to entertain the thought of spending $1200 for a rack, so I'm blindly hoping it is, in fact, the pump.

Looking at replacements, the only thing available at FCP Euro is the $593 OEM BMW pump. ECS Tuning is even worse; over $600.00. There are other pumps - the LF-30 for example, and some really cheap crap on eBay and even Amazon - which for obvious reasons are not appealing. I've read the LF-30 is a bit over-boosted and affects the feel on the ZHP. Ideally I'd like something close to new, like a remanufactured OEM LF-20, but there don't seem to be any out there. FCP Euro has another one from S-tec for $354 but they're backordered with "no ETA" which obviously won't work. Can't really drive the car without a pump; way too hard to turn in parking lot situations - not to mention it's much harder on the steering linkage. So I need to order something asap.

Has anyone had success with an aftermarket LF-20? Got a source?
    -Chris

Also finding some lower-priced LF-20's but they're apparently for earlier E46's. Not sure why 2002 and up would have a different one; It's confusing and misleading because they're all called LF-20.
    -Chris

Chris, have you considered used? Assuming the ZHP pump wasn’t unique(and RealOEM shows the same pump on all E46's), I see one close to you here:

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

From the images, donor car has 69k miles
    Last edited by pedro2u; 05-11-2023 at 06:53 AM.
    Pete

Thanks Pete - I prefer new. Used is a crapshoot… I don’t want to replace it again for at least a few years. I found an aftermarket LF-20 pump at Bimmerworld with a four year warranty for $200.00... Ordered it today. Hopefully will be able to replace it on Saturday or Sunday.
    -Chris

Power Steering Pump Failed... Options?

I had one dye just before the pandemic lockdown. I let the car sit for a year and went OEM from the dealer, when I replaced it and if I remember correctly, the price for the pump was lower than what you’re quoting here. I also did the reservoir and two of the three lines.

Yes my shaft was broke. I had stopped at Jack Daniels distillery to pick us some whiskey and when I came out and started it, I had no power steering. Made another further stop and back to Huntsville with no power steering. It’s been fine with the new pump and other stuff. If you’re replacing the lines, get the $15 tool from FPC.

There is a post on here from me with a video pulling the shaft in and out

It’s on the FaceBook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwz...ibextid=W9rl1R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 05-13-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Thanks for the info... In anticipation of the pump's arrival today, I tore into the car last night; Pulled the reservoir and the hose which goes to the radiator. I opted to pull out the headlight for better access, and was able to get two sets of pliers on the end of the hose. Figured I'd try that before spending the $ on the tool, and it worked. Will get the pump and hoses off today (got the hoses from someone here a year or two ago and never got around to replacing them, will do it now) and hopefully I can just pop the new pump in and bleed the system tonight...

On that note: What PS fluid do people use for a new pump? I've heard Pentosin CHF-11S, but most people say you should refill with Dextron III on an existing system. Since I'm replacing the pump with new, does it make sense to switch to the Pentosin? I'm not replacing the rack so I don't know if switching will have a negative impact on the system. I won't be able to drain the fluid from the rack. Maybe safer to stick with DexIII?
    -Chris

Interesting question. There are posts saying that mixing the 2 fluids results in leaks and that if you want to switch to the CHF11s you need to flush the system

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...r-steering-ATF
    Pete

I’m having a hard time trying to disconnect the hoses at the radiator end. I’m also replacing the coolant lines, so may just remove the expansion tank so make it easier as the coolant is drained out anyway.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Do you have the special tool for disconnecting the lines? I did it without it the first time and it was a huge pain. Second time I did it with the tool and it literally took 10 seconds.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
    Do you have the special tool for disconnecting the lines? I did it without it the first time and it was a huge pain. Second time I did it with the tool and it literally took 10 seconds.
    Ya I’m considering getting the tool. Something like this should work, right?

https://a.co/d/61E8cpo

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast