Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cakM3: Thanks for the warm welcome! You've already helped me answer some AVIN stereo questions, so much appreciated

Yes, the rear subframe cracks is something I definitely worry about. But the previous owner said his shop in Plano TX said he didn't see any cracks or signs of fatigue prior to selling it to me. I'll cross my fingers that I can enjoy my ZHP for a long while before it happens.

You would think BMW would be smarter with their design. Welp, can't have everything I guess. The only thing I've read why M3s are more prone is because of the higher HP, torque, and the inclination of M3 drivers to actually use it and thereby stressing the sheet metal out. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRedDevil View Post
    cakM3: Thanks for the warm welcome! You've already helped me answer some AVIN stereo questions, so much appreciated

Yes, the rear subframe cracks is something I definitely worry about. But the previous owner said his shop in Plano TX said he didn't see any cracks or signs of fatigue prior to selling it to me. I'll cross my fingers that I can enjoy my ZHP for a long while before it happens.

You would think BMW would be smarter with their design. Welp, can't have everything I guess. The only thing I've read why M3s are more prone is because of the higher HP, torque, and the inclination of M3 drivers to actually use it and thereby stressing the sheet metal out. Makes sense to me.
    This is typical of why M3's are subject to rear subframe cracks but also when people seriously slam their rides. I have my M3 checked on a regular basis and after close to 15 years of ownership recently discovered some cracks starting on my rear subframe. Fortunately I have my ZHP to drive so when I'm ready to take my M3 to a reputable shop for repairs the car will primrily become my garage queen.

Rear subframe cracks is something every E46 owner needs to be aware of. Eventually, it will happen depending on many factors. YMMV. Just enjoy your ride and either take the preventive maintenance approach to things and get the rear subframe reinforcement plates and weld them to the rear subframe mounts or do them once you discover cracks beginning to form. Either way the longer you have your E46, you will eventually have to deal with this.

Miniz: Did you do the work yourself or did you pay a shop to do the reinforcement work?

I have a welder and have welded a rusty MBZ back together and my rear tire carrier on my 4runner, so I don't think it's beyond my capability to weld those reinforcement plates in, but dropping the subframe is another matter. Space would be another issue esp since my wife insists on parking in our 2 car garage almost all of the time. I don't blame her since we're now in north TX and we've had a few mild hail storms since we moved here.
    I did the work myself. I don't think dropping the subframe is hard; it balances really well on a jack. I hear you on the space constraints though. I did it in my 1 car and space was getting tight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123