Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Contemplating ditching the spare tire

Gents,

So after being taken back to kindergarten by the crayon smell after opening the trunk, I decided to check the condition of the spare tire. As predicted, it was flat. I attempted to fill this now 20 year old tire and it was leaking from the stem. The core had clearly separated from the rubber stem and even the valve core was leaking.

Having read the advice that spares typically have a useful life of 10 years, I should replace it with a new tire. Hopefully the big box stores have this odd size. But I was also thinking, "why even carry it?" After doing some research, fully 30% of new cars do not have a spare and either include some kind of tire slime-kit or have run flats as std tires. But also, I have AAA Auto Club towing service (100 miles) and have never been let down by their service. Not to mention, having worked at a CA company with one of the largest fleet of vehicles, they actively discourage the employees from ever changing tires on the road and esp. the freeways because of the high risk of getting wiped out by distracted and/or drunk drivers.

So floating this out there for opinions: Do you carry a spare or not? Right now I'm inclined not to.

I have taken my M3 on long distance road trips several times and it does not have a spare tire. Never had an issue. Currently my ZHP does not have a spare tire and I just finished a 2,900 mile road trip to Florida and back. No issues there either. I have towing service if and when I need it (AAA and USAA).

I removed my spare as well. I just keep a AAA card, air pump, and a plug kit.

S2Ace,

Yeah, I think this definitely the way to go.

Maybe I should stop lugging around the dead weight as well. On my motorcycle I have a tiny bicycle pump and plug kit - should just do the same here
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

I've done 80k miles or so without a spare, basically since I got my E46. There's lots of opportunities for weight reduction on these cars, spare tire is just the start...
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

I swapped out my full size spare to a 17 inch donut spare.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Adding to my thread, looks like some of you fine gents answered my next question: What to put in the spare wheel well if not keeping the spare: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...re-Well-Thread

Good ideas for emergency supplies.