Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Audio Volume Control Help Needed

Yesterday when driving over a highway bridge to road transition (bump), the radio volume control stuck at its setting and cannot be changed by the radio button or the steering wheel buttons. In the past month there have been momentary (about 1 second length) episodes where the radio temporarily cuts out similar to when a Sirius XM signal is blocked by trees.

It is a standard E46 navigation head set. I replaced the display about six years ago to eliminate dead pixels.

Anyone know what has likely gone wrong? What to do to fix it?

Bill
    2004 CiC 6MT Silver Gray (A08) Black Interior 1 of 51 Made
    Intravee - Navigation - Back-up Sensors - Cold Weather Package - Home Link Mirror
    Winter Hardtop, too - A Sweet Ride

it is strange that both the physical button sitting on the circuit board of your radio and the steering wheel volume control have lost control of the volume. The temporary cut outs make me think that you have maybe a bad contact back there (i.e., behind the radio).
    You can move the radio button but it no longer controls the volume is that right?
    Or, is your volume button physically stuck.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I can move the button and sound level does not change.

The radio twist button directly manages a rotary potentiometer of some sort that changes a circuit voltage setting. The steering column buttons probably change a circuit voltage setting. Two separate controls of the same circuit no longer can change the circuit voltage. One is physically attached to a circuit board (radio button) and the other via external wires. I can see the steering buttons connection possibility, yet the radio button should continue to function.

Maybe a solder joint in the voltage control circuit has detached or a component has died.
    Intravee - Navigation - Back-up Sensors - Cold Weather Package - Home Link Mirror

Anybody know if an original e46 OEM replacement navigation radio head unit can be swapped into my car without coding to accept the new/old radio?

Quote Originally Posted by wstr75 View Post

It is a standard E46 navigation head set. I replaced the display about six years ago to eliminate dead pixels.

Bill
    Sorry for going on a tangent, but my nav display is slowly losing pixels. Can you provide some details on replacing the nav screen? (where did you get the screen, followed a DIY? was it easy? etc)

Somewhat on topic. I have read threads of people with the non nav headunits upgrading to the OEM nav units and they never mention anything about needing to code for the car. Mostly griping about having to wire stuff to the trunk (which we already have).
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

The Jimmy mentioned in this link is the party I bought my screen. He was formerly an Alpine factory technician.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...onitor-21.html

Quote Originally Posted by wstr75 View Post
    Yesterday when driving over a highway bridge to road transition (bump), the radio volume control stuck at its setting and cannot be changed by the radio button or the steering wheel buttons. In the past month there have been momentary (about 1 second length) episodes where the radio temporarily cuts out similar to when a Sirius XM signal is blocked by trees.

Anyone know what has likely gone wrong? What to do to fix it?

Bill
    At least two or three times over the last couple of years my radio / nav just stopped working for no apparent reason. No functionality whatsoever, but if I shut the car off and wait a couple of hours or until the next day, it works fine... like nothing happened.

Any change in yours after waiting a while?
    -Chris

Ok, this is embarrassing because I should have done this first and not gone on an assumption spree.

I bought a used head unit with bad pixels off Ebay and yesterday was gearing up for pulling the radio out of the dash, pulling off my display, grafting it onto the Ebay head unit and re-installing into the car. I thought, hmm, maybe I should try this before tearing things apart: disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight. I did that and be doggoned, it resolved the volume control problem!!

Saying this while beating my head on the wall, "Always disconnect the battery and let sit overnight whenever some electrically related gremlin happens!"

Very interesting. Glad to hear this has been solved.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles