Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Replacing cooling system parts---anything else while I'm in there?

Gents,

Another question for today: I'm getting ready to replace some cooling system parts. I'll probably buy one of those kits that includes the water pump, hoses, expansion tank, etc. Some questions:

- What's the recommendation on the water pump in terms of brand. Ok to buy OE or OEM? Or just suck it up and buy the BMW one?
    - Same question above re: expansion tank

Anything else to replace while I'm doing the cooling system parts? I do plan to do the Vanos seals.

My ZHP has 98K now.

For cooling system parts, I buy only BMW parts but that’s just me.
    I would at least replace the following -
    Water pump
    Thermostat
    Upper and lower hose
    Expansion tank
    thermocouple in the lower hose

But I would also replace the hoses going from expansion tank to the cabin and the engine block and the pipes under the intake manifold just based on age.

Some folks here may recommend Stewart water pump but I don’t see the appeal but something for you to consider.

In addition, if the belts and tensioners were never replaced, I would definitely replace them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

San,

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket
    CVV/Oil Separator

Include the hoses underneath the air intake (intake off job), and get a replacement gasket while in there.
    There are some sensors you could replace, coolant temp and pressure I believe...

Good time to do spark plugs and coils.
    Everybody loves Fried Chicken

F_C, thanks for the addition to the list. The Oil filter housing gasket plugs and coils were done at 80k-ish...as for the sensors, i'd have to look at the records again.

And yes, everybody loves fried chicken!

Update: Been researching best parts kits for me and a la carte pricing others. While all of this has been going on, my ZHP sprung a leak and you guessed it, it was the expansion tank. I haven't been driving it for about a week now and finally got around to adding some green dye to the coolant. Started it up, ran the heater, then the AC, and sure enough I saw the green dye beneath the expansion tank. I then removed the air box to see exactly where the leak is and saw that the side had a thin hairline crack on the side of the ET.

I need to save up for the parts...damn the cost of genuine BMW parts are no joke lol. I did buy the genuine BMW ET kit w/ a brass bleeder screw from FCP and an o-ring kit from a reputable eBay seller. I can't swing the entire cost of the cooling hose system kit this month so replacing the ET and the hose o-rings will be the fix for the immediate future.

I detailed every cooling system part I replaced in my build thread when I did a complete cooling system overhaul on my ZHP last year. It was pricy because I used Genuine OEM BMW parts and the Stewart water pump when I did mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRedDevil View Post
    I did buy the genuine BMW ET kit w/ a brass bleeder screw from FCP and an o-ring kit from a reputable eBay seller. I can't swing the entire cost of the cooling hose system kit this month so replacing the ET and the hose o-rings will be the fix for the immediate future.
    I was considering the brass bleeder but read of issues with the metal & plastic parts not playing nice together. I did get the lower-pressure cap & don't overfill the tank to help keep the pressure from getting too high.
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Bleeder screws fail because they are overtightened and that causing them to stretch and then adding heat pops the head off. I've probably installed thousands of plastic bleeder screws, if they are fresh I reuse, if they are unknown age then I replace. Never had one fail.

Waterpump, I use BMW.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    I detailed every cooling system part I replaced in my build thread when I did a complete cooling system overhaul on my ZHP last year. It was pricy because I used Genuine OEM BMW parts and the Stewart water pump when I did mine.
    cak: I'll find it and check it out. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast