Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hi Buddy! Glad to hear everything is buttoned up and you're done with all of that. Congratz! Good solid advice above too. I thought that when you said you slammed your door that the window broke! Yikes! That would've really sucked.

I had to replace my alternator 15k miles ago (2017) since my PS reservoir was leaking into it. It didn't look too bad, but it must've been enough to kill it. So, I replaced it along with the PS reservoir/pump/lines. I used the worm gear style of clamp. After a little while, I went back in there and tightened them up a bit since they came loose. I tried to go cheap when removing the PS lines. What a mistake. I finally gave up and bought the hose removal tool at the local autozone and it came off in 10 seconds! Totally worth it's weight in gold!

I redid the VANOS seals early on at 90k miles back in 2011. I used the Beisan vanos seal kit. I took my time and it is still going strong today.

Congratz again on a job well done & happy motoring!!!
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Johnny,

Wouldn't it be cool if someone would invent/create or 3D print some sort of diverter guard that shields the alternator from weepy PS fluid from that problematic hose?

Yes, Beisan seems to be the one that everyone goes with. However, Race German has a complete kit. Are they vastly different in quality? Objectively speaking, $60 for Beisan o-rings...are they made with gold powder? Seriously, I get that they're the first ones to make the kit (based on what I read), but $60 for an o-ring set defies common sense to me.

Did you replace the solenoid too?

Beisan

Race German

Hey TX-I only bought the seals from Beisan. I haven't touched the solenoids though. As far as I know, they're not causing any issues. I did replace the metal VANOS gasket, the valve cover and spark plug gaskets at the same time though. You have to pull all of that apart anyways, so good time to do it.

I think you're supposed to replace the VANOS fit bolts (they're LH thread) along with the copper crush washers for the oil line.

Back when I did it, there weren't any YT videos floating around the internets, so I used a step by step on either the e46fanatics or bimmerfest forums I think. I'm sure YT is flooded with how-to videos and they'll have other suggestions. I did mine about 12 years ago now.

That Race German kit looks good, especially since they include just about everything you need to rebuild the VANOS unit. That's the first I've heard of that company, so hopefully more experienced minds will chime in on this.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Johnny,

Appreciate the reply. You answered a question I had as well: what else while I'm in there? Ok, got it on the bolts, valve cover gasket, and spark plug gasket. The other one is the vanos oil line many others have said to replace. Looks like the German kit has the copper crush washers.

I took a longer drive today to the other side of north Dallas to help my wife take care of some business and have lunch w/ friends. Total miles = 70-80 ish. With all that I've done so far (diff, manual trans, oil, p/s fluid, coolant, and DISA rehab), it drives much nicer than before. The DISA has had the most impact on the fluttering / stumbling acceleration and I'm hoping that the Vanos rehab will take care of the issue for good. It's annoying, but takes nothing away from the joy of driving this car esp. on the highways.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRedDevil View Post
    Johnny,

Appreciate the reply. You answered a question I had as well: what else while I'm in there? Ok, got it on the bolts, valve cover gasket, and spark plug gasket. The other one is the vanos oil line many others have said to replace. Looks like the German kit has the copper crush washers.

I took a longer drive today to the other side of north Dallas to help my wife take care of some business and have lunch w/ friends. Total miles = 70-80 ish. With all that I've done so far (diff, manual trans, oil, p/s fluid, coolant, and DISA rehab), it drives much nicer than before. The DISA has had the most impact on the fluttering / stumbling acceleration and I'm hoping that the Vanos rehab will take care of the issue for good. It's annoying, but takes nothing away from the joy of driving this car esp. on the highways.
    You nailed one of the biggest reasons why I love this thing. Whenever I'm stretching it's legs on the highway, the smiles return and all of the junk we put up with due to it being a tempermental German car disappears. All of the around town driving is like being in a straightjacket.

One thing I forgot to mention on the VANOS is to put a lot of towels or a plastic bag under the VANOS when you remove it since it will gush oil when you least expect it.

Also, I realized I forgot to answer your other question in the other post, it would be GREAT if BMW designed a PS system that didn't leak! Hahaha! But I digress.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234