Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Replaced Fan Blower Resistor, Climate Control Unit Still Dead

Morning all!

Trying to trouble shoot my dead climate control unit. Few months ago my unit started acting up, it would occasionally stay off when starting the car, and once stayed on with the fan blowing full blast even after I had removed the keys from the ignition. After doing some reading I ordered a new OE FSR from FCP Euro (MAH-ABR55000S), and after struggling with the installation for a couple of hours I got it all in and buttoned up.

That fixed my problems for a couple of weeks until the unit stopped turning on altogether. I figured it couldn't be the resistor again so this time I took the actual CC unit out and unplugged it and plugged it in again. This gave me another weeks worth of usage before it died again, so I figure it might just be an old CC unit I need to replace.

I bought a "new" unit off eBay this morning, but when retracing my steps I noticed the product # for the FSR on FCP (which was originally marked OE) now has one single star review stating that it worked for 2 weeks before dying.

Should I bother with replacing the climate control unit itself or should I just get a replacement FSR and do the install again?

The IHKA (climate control unit) not turning on sounds like a dead IHKA to me. I'd rule out a fuse since you got it to come back to life by unplugging/replugging in the past.

I had the same issue in the touring and replacing it resolved the issue.
    I don't believe a bad FSR would cause the IHKA to not turn on but don't quote me on that. When the blower would stay on after removing the keys from the ignition, the IHKA would be off (nothing on screen) but the fan would still be on, right? If so, the new FSR should resolve that particular problem. Or, did the IHKA itself stay on even with power removed?

As far as the IHKA not turning on, that sounds like a problematic IHKA. I had the same symptoms, though in my case it just went straight from functional to not turning on, ever. Replacement resolved that issue. Since you already have the replacement IHKA by the sounds of it, you might as well just replace it; it takes less than 5 minutes.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

When the blower would stay on after removing the keys from the ignition, the IHKA would be off (nothing on screen) but the fan would still be on, right?
    In the one instance this happened, the whole unit stayed lit up and on. The rest of the dash and electronics were completely off, with the exception of the climate control unit.

Since you already have the replacement IHKA by the sounds of it, you might as well just replace it; it takes less than 5 minutes.
    Yeah I got in there pretty easy already. I'll just replace it once I get it and see if any problems persist.