Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Oli77's maintenance & yearly totals ledger

Got the car exactly one year ago (4/21/2010) so I thought I would post a little thread about BMW ownership, maintenance and stories about what happened. It’s a 325i from 2005, silvergray metallic, ZSP, manual, leatherette, totally stock still to this day. Throughout the year I have had a lot of fun entering in picture contests across forums (including this one). I have hundreds of picture of my car!

Purchased from independent dealer in TN, clean carfax, two owners. Car had 61K miles and I paid $14.5K. Original add (see here) asked for $ 16,755. Car was originally purchased (new) in FL, and then made its way to TN. The original owner had driven 46K miles in two year so I am pretty sure those were all highway miles. Anyway, when I got it, it had just come out of warranty and had been a trade at a local Dodge dealer. The independent dealer who sold it to me had gotten it as his primary car from the original Dodge dealer and had driven it ~ 6 months. I am not sure that the last two years of warranty were taken care off by a BMW dealer (see later).

Original pic from dealer who sold it to me.

The day I arrived at home after a 3 hour drive from TN, I was standing outside the car while it was running, and I heard a metal on metal noise coming from under the car (perfectly matched to rmp). With the help of knowledgeable members on several forums (and internet searches), I found out the throw out bearing was on its way. It still is, and there has not been any worsening of the symptoms. I can deal with that latter, as clutch is still plenty good and I’ll take care of the TOB in due time. I have learned to slowly let go of the clutch when I arrive at a red light and the noise is almost non perceivable.

I paired my cell phone right away after I found the pairing code under the Bluetooth control unit in the rear left wheel compartment (from trunk). See here

Learned about the mod sock so I did that right away (thanks Dane)!

Got rid off the pin stripes.

In the next 2 weeks, the car developed a leak of windshield wiper fluid (dealer had told me about a grommet I needed), and the floor mats were busted. First Bavauto purchase: $157.85 shipped.

I then noticed I was missing the splash panel in the front right wheel well, it stunk when I turned on the AC (cabin filter)and I was missing a child seat anchor cover on rear seat. Second purchase at Bavauto was placed: $119.75 shipped.

Then I did the license plate delete (thus far, the cleanest most eye-candy mod for me). Third order at Bavauto: $28.90 shipped.

Before:

After:

Then I started dealing with a “clunk” in the back. Thread can be found here. I still have it, and I have learned to deal with it (think it’s the rear differential mount).

I spent a long time under there looking around. Even though the car only had ~61K miles, it had new CAB (HD Meyle), new radiator hoses (found part number stickers still on them – lower, and several upper), and a new looking guibo. These numbers, the Meyle CABs and the new guibo indicate (I think) that changes were made by previous owner but not a BMW dealer.

Then I had a dealer check my subframe (passed), also found out a new battery had been installed at 42K miles (car was 2 years old- odd).

About then it was winter and the first significant “break” was the Thermostat (stuck open –no heat). Had an Indy change to metal water pump, new T –stat with housing, the belts and the idler pulley. Fourth purchase: $539.72.

I also bought the winter rubber BMW mats (~$ 50) around that time.

I know that I need to change my brakes (known that since day 1 of purchase but light has not kicked on). I will order from brakeyourself.com (our buddy Ray) and DIY.

There has also been a clunk coming from the front when I break (realized it within first few weeks of ownership). For the longest time I thought it was the pads moving around. It has gotten noticeably worse since last year. In some case I can feel a shock in the brake pedal as I apply pressure. Found out recently the lower ball joint on the left control arm is shot. Indy: $290.

So that’s the story on this first year anniversary. I am happy, love the car, the smell, the look, the build, the feel, the handling, the smooth sound, the engine and even the clunk! I did not indicate oil changes but they are done every 7K miles. Car now has 68K miles.

Did not do the math but including a couple oil changes, that sounds about right, $1000 for first year (excluding the control arm - not yet done)? Next week, I am getting a new control arm and at least one of the clunks will be gone.
    Last edited by Oli77; 05-10-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Tried to edit the title ; space missing
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Good read.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thanks buds, figured I would keep a thread going on the car and review occasionally, has time goes back.

Can Markus edit the title, there is a space missing between "year" and "of" and it bugs me.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

spencers Guest
    Holy hell. I purchased my e46 on 4/21/2010 as well!!!

Nice chronicle of ownership. The car sounds like an excellent purchase.

Telepsychic! Cosmic too.

Thanks for whomever fixed that space in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Thanks buds, figured I would keep a thread going on the car and review occasionally, has time goes back.

Can Markus edit the title, there is a space missing between "year" and "of" and it bugs me.
    I fixed your title yesterday. Because I micromanage the site, very few things get by me. When I saw the lack of a space between the words, I fixed it. One way or the other, you can count on me to take care of you here at ZHPMafia.com.

Thanks Boss.

De nada, good sir.

Autozone.com
    Front left Control arm being done as we speak. I will update the price and start the "maintenance fee calculation" for the second year of ownership later today.
    A Febi-Bilstein is being put in (guess my Indy guy is a stickler for German-made parts).

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast