Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    [U]Begin second year:[/U]

Smooth $336 to put in a new control arm. I wish I had tools and friends nearby that may have done that job before. I know I have all of you guys, but its not the same (plus having the car on a lift is a huge help I can see).

I looked at them go at it for the first 15 min and they made it look easy. Pneumatic wrenches and the right combination of tools and that was it. I was surprised that they kept the original HD Meyle CAB.

Found out my high pressure lower hose on the power steering rack is oozing a little...

The front clunk is gone! I thought I would be happier. I feel good about it and I can stop imagining my left front wheel moving backwards ever so slightly every time I hit the brakes.

Not much change with respect to the direction or handling.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Just want to make sure I'm reading right, Oli-- did they install a new control arm but reuse the bushings?

If so, that's a big no-no from everything I've read. Only kind of bushings that are ok to reuse are the polyurethane, iirc.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Yep. That's what happened! He reused the HD Meyle CAB. The lower and inner ball bushings were new and came with the new arm.

Maaaaahmy! ;\
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Yep. That's what happened! He reused the HD Meyle CAB. The lower and inner ball bushings were new and came with the new arm.

Maaaaahmy! ;\
    Yeah-- pretty sure that's no good, bro.

I'd reach out for him and get yourself a new CAB put on.

DW or one of the seasoned DIY vets should be able to back me up on this.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

The only way to reuse one....is to get it off without destroying the bushing, and having the fluid leak out. I have never been able to remove for re-use....and typically...if your gonna replace the CA, the bushing typically needs replacing as well. Keith is correct.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    [U]Begin second year:[/U]

I feel good about it and I can stop imagining my left front wheel moving backwards ever so slightly every time I hit the brakes.
    I don't understand this?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Well I assumed the sharp clunk I would hear in the front upon initial brake application while moving forward at low speeds would make the wheel assembly move back a tad. The lower control arm ball joint had play in it and while the car would not clunk over bumps, it was this occasional noise upon braking that would clue me in to something being wrong.

With respect to the replacement of the CAB. The guy said he pressing the new arm in (he has a special press for removing and reinserting the arm without destroying the bushing). I have not looked at the shape of the CAB yet but if it is not in pristine condition, I will be talking to Bob my mechanic.

Thanks for looking out for me. Everything feels good now, but I suppose that if removing and pressing a new arm into the CAB has, in any way, weakened the integrity of the CAB, a slow degradation is performance is expected - how will it take?

I'll look and report back.

I would say you would already know if it was destroyed.

How many miles on current CAB's?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Dear Dr. Dane, remember when I thought your license plate should be the following?

Anyway Doc, the HD MEYLE have been in since I bought the car and they look quiet new. No leak nothing. As an aside, this is why I think it is weird that someone other then BMW took care of the car (mentioned a bunch of new hoses, Meyle CABS, maybe even guibo). I mean a BMW dealer would not be buying parts like that - right? The part numbers still attached to some of the hoses were matched up well with inventory from several of our classic vendors (ECS tuning, FCPGroton etc...).

This is the part where I go hummmmm. I am assuming that in 2005, that car came with a 5 year warranty. As such why would I find non BMW parts on a car purchased by me in 2010?

spencers Guest
    Autozone.com
    Dane holds a doctorate?

To answer your question above, maybe the PO wanted some work done that was outside the scope of the warranty... Enter a DIY or an indy mechanic.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast