Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Royal Purple Synchromax

So back in the beginning of January, I changed my manual trans fluid and, after much back and forth, decided to go with Royal Purple Synchromax over Red Line MTL.

This was a tough decision as a lot of people have good things to say about Red Line, and Mike Miller recommends it and uses it in his cars.

What really pushed me towards the RP was that after reading a lot of posts on multiple car forums from people who switched from RL to RP, the consensus was that the trans shifted smoother and was much less notchy with RP. Well, that and the fact that Dane went with it.

My only concern was that there were a few threads where people felt that the RP broke down quickly around 10-15k miles. This was based on a return of notchy shifting and in one case some brass shavings observed in the fluid during a change (although the person did admit to grinding gears occasionally). There is no empirical evidence that I know of that documents this alleged break down.

So here's where I am, and where I'm going:

I've had the RP in for 4k miles now and am happy to report that it has, so far, been a great fluid with noticeable improvement over the oem fluid (which had almost 50k on it).

Shifting is noticeably smoother with no notchiness or difficulty getting into first. This includes during very cold weather.

My concern, obviously, is what condition the fluid will be in as I get in the 10-15k miles range.

In order to address that, my plan is to change out fluid at its half-life of around 15k miles and send it off to Blackstone for analysis. While that won't really tell us whether the RP is any better or worse than other fluids (we have no oem or RL results from 15k for comparison), it should be able to tell us whether the RP is breaking down prematurely.

I also know that Dane is running the same fluid and has the same concerns-- and may go the Blackstone route himself (which might give us an answer sooner as he piles on the miles much faster than I do).

So far, I would highly recommend the RP Synchromax.

We'll see how the lab results turn out down the road.
    Last edited by kayger12; 04-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

What is the fluid capacity and what type of fluid is recommended? The getrag in my e36 called for ATF. I'm strongly considering changing it today because I have some time and a lift to use.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

I'm only familiar with the ZHP Getrag. Only synthetic oil is recommended. BMW has a proprietary blend that they use--BMW MTF-L2 (70W80 GL-4). It's available from the dealer I believe.

Other options I'm aware of are Red Line MTL and RP Synchromax.

My trans took a little over 1.5 quarts, iirc.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

When first starting my car up in the morning(or whenever the first start up of the day is) my car is very tough to shift into first and reverse, does this mean its time to change out my transmission fluid? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but everybody has to learn somehow I guess lol.

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

No dumb questions here.

Some trans fluids can act that way before the trans is warmed up.

Mine was acting that way before I changed it out, but is much better now with the RP in there. That being said, though, I have read plenty of posts from people who went with Red Line and still had difficulty shifting into first when cold.

As for whether you need to change out or not, Mike Miller (BMW tech guru) recommends that you change manual trans fluid every 30k miles.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

def need to change soon then, thanks!

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Thanks for the response, Keith. I was in Napa not ten minutes later getting two quarts.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Welcome, gents.

Static- you're gonna be loving life with the SSK and some fresh RP in there.

Enjoy!

ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Welcome, gents.

Static- you're gonna be loving life with the SSK and some fresh RP in there.

Enjoy!

kayger12, did you pick the RP up at autozone or something? And if so did they have it in stock in the store because i would think that the would but online my store is saying it has to be ordered if you want it. Which sucks

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Quote Originally Posted by 09mageec View Post
    kayger12, did you pick the RP up at autozone or something? And if so did they have it in stock in the store because i would think that the would but online my store is saying it has to be ordered if you want it. Which sucks
    I ordered from Amazon.com. They had it cheap and I get free shipping with my Prime membership.

Plus the site makes a little bit if you use the Amazon link from the Affiliate Advertisers page.

ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast