Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    255s work on stock suspension without any rubbing, you should be fine there.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    255s work on stock suspension without any rubbing, you should be fine there.
    Good to know. Looks like 255/40/17 will be ideal. Now I just need about $2000 for some APEX ARC-8s and tires. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    If you don't need 265mm tires, stick with the 17x9's. Tires are cheaper and they'll ride more comfortably. I've noticed a bigger difference in ride harshness moving from 17 to 18 than from going from stock springs to 550/650 coilovers.
    You can also run a 265 on 17x9 you just have fewer options. Dunlop makes the star spec in that size and it can be a competitive street tire depending on the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post

Also! Anyone have any pics of their ZHP with APEX ARC-8s?
    Here are mine: Apex arc 8's 17x9 et 42 265/40/17

OOps, didn't know there were more responses. Damn my AOL spam box.

Katu - Yes, they are Anthracite and 18x9. I went with 245/35/18. 245s = more clearance, but I'm sure the ride quality might be a bit more harsh. Have had no rubbing even with four passengers following dinner. I think the performance might be better with the 245 too being that the tire is properly stretched to the wheel (think less under-tensioned rubber to roll over during corner...which would require more camber). 245s may also be up to a pound lighter per tire. I know that's not much when you're dealing with all this horsepower and torque, but anything for peace of mind knowing the car accelerates (saving gas and brakes more efficiently ;-). Just my thoughts anyway.

As for 17s vs 18s. I think the former is the more practical option...much better ride and wallet preservation.

BCleaver, I love your black shoes on that silver car. Stunning and aggressive stance with those meats.

-Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think the performance might be better with the 245 too being that the tire is properly stretched to the wheel (think less under-tensioned rubber to roll over during corner...which would require more camber). 245s may also be up to a pound lighter per tire. I know that's not much when you're dealing with all this horsepower and torque, but anything for peace of mind knowing the car accelerates (saving gas and brakes more efficiently ;-). Just my thoughts anyway.
    Performance does in fact improve as you go wider, though certainly there's a much smaller jump between 255 and 265 than between 245 and 255. At 265 you're fighting gearing, floppiness, and weight, but it still grips better.

Ok, I weighed both the front and rear 135's on a good quality non-digital scale - worst case scenario I'm within half a pound. Here are my results

Front: 28.2lbs
    Rear: 28.05lbs

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Yeah....those 135's def shouldn't be in a thread titled "Auto Xing Wheels"

Good data. Thanks.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Ok, I weighed both the front and rear 135's on a good quality non-digital scale - worst case scenario I'm within half a pound. Here are my results

Front: 28.2lbs
    Rear: 28.05lbs
    Bricks!!!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Thanks for the accurate weights, MasterC17.

Okay Murph, maybe I should have been more specific Oversized rubber (ie, 265 on a 9") does help with lateral grip. But I think this mainly would apply to autocross. It is from my ancient club racing experience that I recall cars behaving much better on properly stretched tires. Speaking of corner transition, taking a set, etc. I think the extra rubber that a lot of people try to fit under their cars for cone dodging probably helps as the driver inputs are quite a bit more violent than on a track. With that said I'm not going to say going as narrow as you can is going to help. I think there must be an ideal width. I talked to a friend at a magazine and told him to approach a tire manufacturer and start doing some tire size comparisons. Would be interesting to see how various sizes benefit in various conditions.

-T

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast