Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfWMB View Post
    Interesting. Most seem happy with coilovers. I'm leary of a too-harsh ride in a daily-driver (my wife doesn't like even the stock sport suspension). I have never heard of Function and Form (F2 Autolife) before. I'll also look into the FK Silverline.

Anybody else?
    I looked into all the coilovers on the market today and had to decide between ST V1 (same build product as KW V1 and the ST's actually made by KW) and the F2. I chose the F2's for their ability to raise and lower the strut body while still attached to the car and leave the strut piston at its full capability. With other coilovers if you lower your car, your actually lowering your spring and strut piston down into the strut body. The F2's did it the other way around so you can still keep your full dampening with the full range of the strut. The springs on the F2's are actually Eibach springs so they are pretty solid.

I don't think anyone here will lie to you. Coilovers are a significant investment at around $1K+ for a solid set. This is one area where you don't want to skimp on the product or features. Do as much research on the products you might get (KW, FK, ST) and contact the vendors to ask them questions. If you do autocross like in your pick you are definitely gonna need to look at the second version of each of those so you can fully leverage your daily driving AND you auto-x

I really have no idea what I am doing

As far as ride quality, most single adjustable shocks will have the ability to get pretty close to stock comfort. They can be adjusted for a more firm ride, but bearable. From my past experience most of the really noticeable ride quality deterioration comes when you start increasing spring rates.

If you're more serious about performance and less about ride quality, or just looks I would make sure to check out AST-usa

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    ... I chose the F2's for their ability to raise and lower the strut body while still attached to the car and leave the strut piston at its full capability. ...

... Coilovers are a significant investment at around $1K+ for a solid set. ...
    That makes sense about the strut body. I figure if I'm going to make the investment in time and money, I should get something I'll enjoy for the next 100,000 miles . I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing just to save $200.

spencers Guest
    I'd kill for some AST 4100's...

Spring rate plays a huge part in it, since that is not adjustable. You need to figure out what you want to achieve in the handling department. I chose 500/600 because I wanted to dial out understeer and reduce body roll. Tho my shocks are adjustable, I can't go full soft for comfort and still have the car handle like a BMW. What happens is the weight rolls off the stiff spring and onto a soft shock and the transition isn't smooth = sloppy handling. So there's a balance between the dampers and springs you need to reach. This is why springs and shocks are purchased as a matched set.

A friend of mine has an M3 with PSS9s on it and it's very livable on the street and pretty capable at the track and autocross too. It's much more comfy than mine on the street.

Adjustable height suspension, aka coilover, allows you to really dial things in. For one you'll get your car corner weight balanced for perfect weight distribution. This is something you cannot do with just a set of springs like H&R or the like... you get what the manufacturer thinks is best for the average E46.
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Given that my stock shocks are pretty worn out, I think I need new shocks as well. Have you used these?

What are the pros and cons of progressive springs vs linear springs?

Don't know, but it is a reputable company and CHEAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Don't know, but it is a reputable company and CHEAP.
    Given that it's just a set of springs with height adjusters it's not really that 'cheap'. True coilover packages consist of that as well as 4 struts.

Quote Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
    For one you'll get your car corner weight balanced for perfect weight distribution. This is something you cannot do with just a set of springs like H&R or the like... you get what the manufacturer thinks is best for the average E46.

Worth quoting. If you invest in coilovers but don't spend the money to get your car corner balanced, you're missing out on the full potential of your setup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast