Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Manual power dip and Dinan Software Flash

If I get the manual power dip fixed by flashing the DME, and then get Dinan Stage II software, will that overwrite the power dip fix entirely? Or vis-versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    If I get the manual power dip fixed by flashing the DME, and then get Dinan Stage II software, will that overwrite the power dip fix entirely? Or vis-versa?
    I'm going to take a guess here and say that the Dinan software will not overwrite. as far as I know, the power dip flash reprograms the anti-knock sensor. I'll be talking to a Dinan dealer next week about some other stuff, I'll get you a definitive answer then if no one else knows for sure.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

The Dinan dealer said that they flash the DME with the latest BMW firmware before they flash it with the Dinan firmware. I'm not sure whether all Dinan dealers do it this way. Since the firmware has to be flashed by a Dinan dealer, I would call which ever dealer your where thinking of taking your car to and ask them.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

The Dinan software does NOT fix the 4k dip.

If it was as simple as a reflash, why would BMWNA still require DME's to be shipped to NJ to address the 4k dip? They like quick and easy. Removing DME's and overnighting them to NJ and back to the dealer to be re-installed in not quick and easy. They do this because they have to.

Thanks for the clarification Mimalmo,

When I had mine done at the dealer in the summer of 2008, they said that BMWNA was allowing them to flash at the dealer. Ironically though they fried my DME when they flashed it. They had my car for a month while they got a new DME from BMWNA.

So it sounds like the thing to do would be to take that car to the Dealer and see if they will flash for you then get the Dinan software done.

Here's the body of the original service bulletin JIC someone wants to see it...

BMW Service Bulletin

S I B 12 17 05
    Engine Electrical SystemsSeptember 2005
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B12 209 05 dated4/6/2005

SUBJECT
    M54B30 MS45.1; Engine Power Drops at 4000 RPM
    MODELE46, E60, E85 with M54B30 engine and manual transmission only

SITUATION
    The customer may complain of an engine power drop at approximately 4000 RPM during aggressive acceleration.

CAUSE
    Ignition timing retardation shift due to unfavorable knock adaptations in the 4000 - 5000 RPM range.

CORRECTION
    On a customer complaint basis, perform the procedure described below.

PROCEDURE1.
    Verify the complaint. This situation can vary from a slight surge to a noticeable drop in power during hard acceleration.

2. Do not replace any parts!

3. Submit a PuMA case requesting authorization for DME shipment to Engineering Department for reprogramming. For the PuMA case title please use the following: "MS45.1 DME KNOCK ADAPTATION RESET".

4. Reinstall the DME.5. For E60 only: Reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.1 (Target Data Status E060-05-09-530), or higher.

WARRANTYCovered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    For the appropriate labor operations please refer to the KSD system.
    Last edited by Sockethead; 05-10-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Sorry the formatting of the bullitin didnt copy over very well
    H&R sport springs,

I think the "flash" that Jim did on mine fixed the power dip.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Mimalmo,

When I had mine done at the dealer in the summer of 2008, they said that BMWNA was allowing them to flash at the dealer. Ironically though they fried my DME when they flashed it. They had my car for a month while they got a new DME from BMWNA.

So it sounds like the thing to do would be to take that car to the Dealer and see if they will flash for you then get the Dinan software done.

Here's the body of the original service bulletin JIC someone wants to see it...

BMW Service Bulletin

S I B 12 17 05Engine Electrical SystemsSeptember 2005Technical ServiceThis Service Information bulletin supersedes S.M. B12 209 05 dated4/6/2005.SUBJECTM54B30 MS45.1; Engine Power Drops at 4000 RPMMODELE46, E60, E85 with M54B30 engine and manual transmission onlySITUATIONThe customer may complain of an engine power drop at approximately 4000 RPM during aggressive acceleration.CAUSEIgnition timing retardation shift due to unfavorable knock adaptations in the 4000 - 5000 RPM range.CORRECTIONOn a customer complaint basis, perform the procedure described below.PROCEDURE1. Verify the complaint. This situation can vary from a slight surge to a noticeable drop in power during hard acceleration.2. Do not replace any parts!3. Submit a PuMA case requesting authorization for DME shipment to Engineering Department for reprogramming. For the PuMA case title please use the following: "MS45.1 DME KNOCK ADAPTATION RESET".4. Reinstall the DME.5. For E60 only: Reprogram the vehicle using CIP 19.1 (Target Data Status E060-05-09-530), or higher.WARRANTYCovered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.For the appropriate labor operations please refer to the KSD system.
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think the "flash" that Jim did on mine fixed the power dip.
    No, see above.

Geeze Mimalmo, you really want to get your point across

Also, it's interesting to note that the bullitin says that only manual trans cars are affected.
    H&R sport springs,

Haha, just trying to make sure everyone understands.

The 4k dip is related to the knock adaptation. When Dinan, Conforti, AA, etc "tune" a car, they are not making changes to the knock adaptation.

Crystal clear.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast