Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Navi swap

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    And he's a brilliant dude. Knows a ton about E46. That needed to be said.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Yes. He is very capable with these cars. If he had a bad experience, that should say something about this procedure. I believe he reversed the process. He did not do the NAV.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Yes. He is very capable with these cars. If he had a bad experience, that should say something about this procedure. I believe he reversed the process. He did not do the NAV.
    Delmarco does have factory 16:9 DVD Nav retrofitted to his '01 330i. He likes the results but it was more expensive and time consuming than he anticipated. He initially figured the OE retrofit would be cheaper than the Dynavin after market Nav system. Exactly what he did and why can be found here:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=798849

Oh. I thought he decided to scrap the project.

From Delmarco's post: "I wasn't going to do an official DIY write up for this because it is one DIY that I will NEVER EVER recommend since results and budgets are guaranteed to vary."

Doesn't sound like a fun one.

Thanks, Mark.

I helped a buddy put in a stock navi in his 05 M3. I swear when we were only half way through it, it looked like his car interior had been stripped to the metal. Wires and interior pieces were EVERYWHERE. A stock navi retrofit is not for the faint of heart. It is a project that will take you damn near all weekend to complete. And there are bound to be things and parts that you will miss. When we did my buddies car, he took the time to make sure he had everything he needed, both new and used parts, but we still were missing about 3-4 crucial pieces for the install. And even after that, we still couldn't get all the features to work properly until about a week later.

Dynavin and others (Pioneer Avic-Z series) are all up in the head end of the car and you don't have to run any cables to the rear because everything plugs into the existing wiring harness. The same can definitely NOT be said for the stock navi retro.

Just my 2 cents on that

I really have no idea what I am doing

Having lived with the factory nav in our ZHP for a year now, I would not recommend anyone putting effort into installing the system into their car. I would not even waste the labor if someone gave the system to me for free. It works just OK, makes using/listening to the radio more of a hassle than the business cd system for example and just doesnt make sense from a $ point of view. After a year, I bet we havent used the nav features a dozen times as we both prefer to use google maps or google nav on our smartphones since it is so much faster vs inputting destinations on the factory nav.

I would rather buy any of the good aftermarket indash systems which feature useful things like bluetooth, touch screens etc.

OR

I would put my $$ and efforts into implementing something like a iPad or Android pad into the dash/console as I would find that much more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by 95m3ltw View Post
    Having lived with the factory nav in our ZHP for a year now, I would not recommend anyone putting effort into installing the system into their car. I would not even waste the labor if someone gave the system to me for free. It works just OK, makes using/listening to the radio more of a hassle than the business cd system for example and just doesnt make sense from a $ point of view. After a year, I bet we havent used the nav features a dozen times as we both prefer to use google maps or google nav on our smartphones since it is so much faster vs inputting destinations on the factory nav.

I would rather buy any of the good aftermarket indash systems which feature useful things like bluetooth, touch screens etc.

OR

I would put my $$ and efforts into implementing something like a iPad or Android pad into the dash/console as I would find that much more useful.
    +1

We rarely use ours.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

Im not looking for the NAV to work. I just want the 16:9 screen. I hate navigation and my iphone works the best IF I ever need it.

Would the headunit work alone? Thats what I really care for...

6K HID FOGS - 8K DS2 LOW BEAMS - SMOKED LED TAILS - SMOKED CORNERS - V2 AE'S - BREMMER WHEELS -CONTI DWS TIRES - K&N INTAKE - 35% TINT - CF ROUNDELS - CF SPLITTERS - 12" SUB - LED REVERSE AND PLATE BULBS - SUPER CLEAN

Quote Originally Posted by TRELO View Post
    Im not looking for the NAV to work. I just want the 16:9 screen. I hate navigation and my iphone works the best IF I ever need it.

Would the headunit work alone? Thats what I really care for...
    No, you need the complete system

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12