Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Alternate Replacement filters for the BMW Performance Air Intake

Anyone ever use anything other than the performance air filter?

The Performance filter measures 10.5 X 6.625 inches.

I know ECS has them for $67. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/13720431649/ES35342/

Has anyone used an air filter for a 1997 Ford Probe? The flexible replacement from Fram measures 10.36 in. L x 6.45 in. W x 1.56 in. and is $13.76. [URL=http://www.carparts.com/details/Ford/Probe/Fram/Air_Filter/1997/GTS/4_Cyl_2-dot-0L/FFCA7426.htmll[/URL]

If you could bend it, you could get a washable filter in as well.

Posted this up in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12
    Ok, the plot thickens. Heard back from Tischer. Part number is 13720431649 and their price is $53.89.

No luck searching for that part number on other sites so far (well, I did find it on Pelican, but it was almost $70).

From the info I can find, the performance intake filter is 10 1/2 X 6 5/8 inches, while the stock filter is 9 3/8 X 6 7/8 inches.

I did a dimension search on the Mann website and the closest filter to that size is a C2759/1-- but of course I can't find that filter size for sale anywhere either.

Plan on figuring this out before I'm forced to pay $50 for an air filter.
    There was discussion on this in another thread. There are a few people on here who have been looking for a replacement filter that matches up.

I've still got a while before I need to replace, so I haven't really been looking lately.

Curious to see other's opinions on the smaller filter.

I'll be going either exact fitment or spending the $50. Not worth it for me to risk sucking crap into the motor.

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

+1 Keith.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

It may be worth it to check fit out to see if it covers the opening on the performance intake frame?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

I bought a spare when I ordered my intake so I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and find someplace that has that Probe filter in stock and compare the two.

Barry

Success! Napa Gold 6301. Other than being about 1/8" narrower it's a perfect match. I even pulled my intake apart and test fit it. It takes a little more finessing to get it seated perfectly but once it's screwed down it will work just fine. It comes with a wire mesh layer on it and I think if you wanted to snip off that mesh it would be just as easy to fit as the $55 BMW filter. This one was $9!

I wish now I wouldn't have ordered a spare from BMW with my intake.

Barry

In this last pic, since this was just a test fit, I didn't have the 4 bottom screws all tightened completely, if I had the 2 top screws would have sat flush. Be careful when tightening these two down so that you don't break those two fragile looking ears off.

Last edited by MrMaico; 05-13-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Great test run! I'm glad to hear that there is a much cheaper alternative. Does the 1/8" difference affect the intake at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Success! Napa Gold 6301. Other than being about 1/8" narrower it's a perfect match. I even pulled my intake apart and test fit it. It takes a little more finessing to get it seated perfectly but once it's screwed down it will work just fine. It comes with a wire mesh layer on it and I think if you wanted to snip off that mesh it would be just as easy to fit as the $55 BMW filter. This one was $9!

I wish now I wouldn't have ordered a spare from BMW with my intake.

Barry

No, there is still plenty of area for it to be correctly seated and seal properly.

And BTW, I checked out that Probe filter first and it wasn't near close enough of a match even though the measurements seem to be similar.

Autozone.com
    KG, did you say somewhere there is a Mann equivalent?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast