Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

a few ways to skin a cat

Taking out the vent is a different way of looking at it and something I didn't even think of. All I know is when I read the directions my thought was "you want me to do what?????". What would have worked the best would have been a long a....s extension on the hole saw. I probably didn't take four hours, when it was done it was done.

What are you talking about the oil on your maf?

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Exactly my thoughts. I wasn't about to take the headlight out even if it meant it would take longer for me, but it turned out to be much shorter apparently.

Well, the Dinan CAI uses an oiled filter, and oiled filters can contaminate your MAF with oil and the fact that they don't filter air as well. The upside is that they flow better.

The stock airbox has a dry, better filtering filter that does not flow as well as the oiled filters. I sold my Dinan CAI and found a bigger brake duct tube (hardly possible given the size of the opening) and used the panel filter, best of both worlds for me.
    - Derek

Hmmm...i am concerned now.

Mine has a dinan intake (came with it when i got it). Should I get rid of it due to the oil contaminating the MAF and just go with the stock box/filter? I know that a Dinan chip was also installed, and would I need to remove that, too? or can they be used independently?
    Or can i just have an indie shop change the filter to stock while keeping the Dinan airbox?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

If its there....I would just leave it..
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    Hmmm...i am concerned now.

Mine has a dinan intake (came with it when i got it). Should I get rid of it due to the oil contaminating the MAF and just go with the stock box/filter? I know that a Dinan chip was also installed, and would I need to remove that, too? or can they be used independently?
    Or can i just have an indie shop change the filter to stock while keeping the Dinan airbox?
    You can't put the stock filter in the Dinan box, however the Dinan box uses the bottom of the stock airbox. So- you can take the top piece off and replace it with your panel filter and top of the stock airbox. You will retain the brake duct tube from the dinan, your dry filter and your stock airbox. I have been running my car this way with no issues, however I once through an SES code for basically too much air (with my half dinan/half stock intake)- I don't have a chip. Therefore, I think that the Dinan chip will still complement your intake if you take the Dinan top off, and use the stock air filter and top.

I know it is confusing. Cliffs: The top piece in your airbox now is Dinan, and the oiled filter is attached to the Dinan piece. If you put your stock airbox top on, you can put the panel filter back in the car.
    - Derek

Thanks - I will address this in the near future, and decide exactly what to do/not to do.
    What was your remedy to eliminate the SES?

BTW, Is the MAF easily accessible in these cars? do people routinely clean them?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

MAF sensor is very easily accessible. It will take you 3 mintues to have full access.

Its right there...just downstream of the filter housing..

By his right hand.....

Good familiarization video here...

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...es-microfilter
    Last edited by danewilson77; 11-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

my Dinan (the one I showed above) is dry, so I don't have any of the oil issues

Brembo Rotor

FYI, if you are using a stock filter with the modified OEM bottom for the Dinan, that air isn't getting filtered. The stock setup filters dirt on the top of the filter only.

Brembo Rotor

Ok - it's the little box-like thing, right? can one unplug the MAF wire harness (I assume yes) and take that box like part off and clean the actual sensor wires ? ( I didn't see any screws on the little box..)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast