Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Post cooling system overhaul issue

I replaced virtually the entire cooling system a few months ago (all belts, hoses, new thermostat, new Stewart water pump, new coolant, new pulleys, etc).

Everything seems to be working fine, no overheating, needle stays in middle of gauge, etc.

The only issue I have is it seems that the heater doesn't blow out hot air, just warm air (regardless of the little dial on the dash that mixes the cold/hot air). But if I put on the defroster, it is very hot air.

I'm thinking that there might be an air bubble somewhere in the heatercore that is hampering the heat exchanger (but it doesnt explain why I still have hot air for the defroster).

Has any one else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it??

Disclaimer, I do live in California so I can not swear that the heater worked differently before the coolant system overhaul. However, I was recently up in the mountains visiting Mom and all I can say is, butt warmers FTW!

Three pedal ZHP

Sounds like you just need to re-bleed the system.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Raise the front end of the car and bleed the sheet outta it. Heat set on 91...blower on low...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Will try in a couple days and let you all know how it goes.

Three pedal ZHP

water valve

If bleeding doesn't work, this sounds a lot like what happens when the water/heater valve fails. Super easy DIY and a known e46 failure point. Replaced mine @ 60k mis.

$59 @ Husker BMW in Nebraska
    64 11 8 369 805

Here's a DIY:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=617301
    Last edited by aurelius; 07-05-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Interesting. The thing that I didnt understand is the defroster being very hot while the heater is barely warm. Thanks for the possibility, easy to test (when I get time!!)

Three pedal ZHP

Solid recommendations all around. Let us know how the bleed goes.

I'll take a quick look at the defogger on the realoem drawings to see if its assisted by an electric element or something else. Anyone know this?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Update?

How many miles on your car?