Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got my ZHP - Many questions inside

After owning my ZHP for about a week now, I'm finally becoming familiar with the car. This is presenting issues that I'm assuming are commonplace among these vehicles and I was hoping you could help me sort them out. I did a few hours of searching and found a great deal of helpful information, but I'd really like to get specific with my car.

1. Dead spot in steering wheel
    Put frankly the steering feels slightly loose in that there is a good deal of play in the turning before the vehicle responds. At higher speeds, it is much more apparent and I would even describe it as a dead spot in the steering where there is ZERO response from the vehicle when turning the wheel 8 degrees left or right. Makes it difficult to keep the car perfectly straight even on new roads. This is my main concern at the moment and I'd like to fix this issue first.

2. Slight suspension clunking (seems like front and rear)
    It's not nearly terrible as it was with my e36 M before completely refreshing, but I was told by the PO that the FCABs were changed in 2009 with OEM bushings along with OEM struts. Can't be completely certain on that although the bushings looked new in the pictures. If I replace, I'd like to upgrade. I would love to get some feedback from you on coilover systems for these vehicles as well as THE BEST bushings (FCABS & RTABS) for a daily driven street car.

3. Vanos
    Surprisingly, at 116,xxx miles, vanos noise is pretty much non-existant! PO did not mention doing the besian system, but I know how fast these vanos units begin to fail from the factory so I'm assuming it may have been done before he owned it. I am experiencing a stutter from 2500 - 3000 rpms and after some searching on here I've found a few culprits that seem to be consistent across the board. I'm not sure if the car has been reflashed or if the pre-cat 02's have been replaced. What's the smartest route to go here and just for reference, when you realized your vanos was on it's way out, how harsh was the noise?

4. License plate lights
    All windows and doors are locked. Trunk is closed...but my license plate lights remain on 100% of the time. The PO replaced them with LED bulbs. Is there an issue with the trunk latching system and it's communication with the lights?

Thanks everyone in advance!

-Tom

1. Maybe tie rod ball joints are trashed. Replace tie rods.

2. Replace front and rear shock mounts, and control ARM bushings.

4. Leds will remain lit for many hours due to low power consumption.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    1. Maybe tie rod ball joints are trashed. Replace tie rods.

2. Replace front and rear shock mounts, and control ARM bushings.

4. Leds will remain lit for many hours due to low power consumption.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Thanks Dane!

I will inspect the tie rods next time I get under the car. As far as suspension & bushings, any insight for popular upgrades? Do you have the LED bulbs on your plate lights? Are you saying that the bulbs will remain lit because of the trace amount of juice running through the wires after the vehicle is off?

Maybe even check out steering guibo...as well.

My sidemarkers are led and stay lit forever...lol.

Popular upgrades for cabs are meyle hd, and powerflex.

I just use meyle HD for fsm, rsm, and cabs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The steering guibo was my initial thought as well.

Good to know about those LED tendencies!

I was reading a thread about the meyle fcabs and a few people were saying they were failing in as little as 3 or 4 months? How have yours been holding up?

Another question: My driver and passenger side mirrors do not operate via the control on the door. Is this a common issue? I'm thinking a fuse maybe?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Maybe even check out steering guibo...as well.

My sidemarkers are led and stay lit forever...lol.

Popular upgrades for cabs are meyle hd, and powerflex.

I just use meyle HD for fsm, rsm, and cabs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I've had one HD Meyle CAB fail. There is no way to know after how many miles, unfortunately, because I got the car with the Meyle cabs already on at 63 K miles and had to replace one at 70K miles.

About the mirrors, I would check all fuses and then get into the door compartment, at least make sure you have volts coming to the switches.

Could be loose only.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

6k miles on my Meyles.

Zero problems so far.

+1 on the steering guibo for #1.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

^ Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Man this forum rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by anm3itbe View Post
    ^ Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys. Man this forum rocks!
    Yup.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Need some more help folks...

Started the car today, and the radio kept cutting out and reading "PHONE" then it would go back to the radio...then cut out to "PHONE." It did this several times until I started driving. Once driving it would be fine for about 10 minutes, then cut out again. Then the lights on just the radio display went dim... Everything still lights up nicely on the HVAC unit though. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast