Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some Battery Replacement pointers

Going outside to take the battery out of my trunk, it died. I think it was Friday it started slow cranking and was dead by last night. All is good, there is a battery being delivered here soon, and my car came to work on a flat bed, lol.

I know with Honda's there are radio codes and other crapola that needs to be reset when you change the battery, should I look forward to that stuff with the bimmer too? How long can I leave the car with no battery in it, or will it reset all kinds of weird things. My car is a touch too complicated for me to understand at times. I didn't want them to wait on me to take the core out basically, and wanted it to be ready when they deliver the new one, but if its bad to let the car sit with no battery in it for a few hours than I might as well wait til they get here with it.

Thanks Guys
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Sorry Kristen, my "experience" with battery replacement is limited. Normally if I replace a battery, I hate running back and forth to the autoparts store so I pull the battery ahead of time.

I had the battery on hand I puled the battery from my e46 since there was no core charge when I bought the battery from BMW. So I noticed no ill effects when replacing the battery in my e46.

But when I replaced the battery in my e30 - I did pull the battery ahead of time because I was buying it from Autozone and there was a core charge. In the e30, the computer reset itself and the car needed to "re-learn" how to run. So the idle hunted - low and high - and occasionally would stall when reversing into my garage. Or would stall if I would rev the engine and then suddenly have to stop (going from full open on the throttle to full closed?).

These are two vastly different computer types - so it may not translate well between models.

Don't know if that helps.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Kristen, you can ignore my other question -- in the other thread. You'll see what I mean when you see it.

I just had my battery replaced. My guy hooked up another power source and put it on the front of the car (in the engine bay) on the battery post. Then he removed my battery from trunk. As a result, we did not have to reset anything, since the car was never without juice. However, my battery (in trunk) was still perfectly good. I was replacing it as a preventive measure. Not sure what happens when the battery dies. Not sure if your settings are lost when that happens.

Someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

Nothing needs to be done. You'll be all good. You will just need to set your time.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    You will just need to set your time.
    I did have to do this...

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

So that's all I avoided? hehe.

I don't remember if I had to reset my radio stations or not. That is usually a pain.

When I had my battery unhooked for a couple of weeks last winter while my steering wheel was being wrapped all I had to do, like Dane said, was reset the clock. Radio stations were still there. You could always get one of these.....

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GK504&cat=GDT

Barry

whew!!! good. Thanks guys! I gave them a Honda battery core when they dropped it off since I wasn't sure yet as to hook up a jump pack to change it or not. I'm making my oil change boy do it, its raining out.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Autozone.com
    What we do is connect a booster pack on the car to not lose power. If so it's not a newer BMW that needs battery registering done or window sync crap.

Hardest part about a BMW battery swap is the weight of the damn thing lol ESP when you're trying to be cautious.

Just make sure the wrench you're using doesn't slip out of your hands and ground the positive post!!!!

Opa iPhone

6K HID FOGS - 8K DS2 LOW BEAMS - SMOKED LED TAILS - SMOKED CORNERS - V2 AE'S - BREMMER WHEELS -CONTI DWS TIRES - K&N INTAKE - 35% TINT - CF ROUNDELS - CF SPLITTERS - 12" SUB - LED REVERSE AND PLATE BULBS - SUPER CLEAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast