Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quaife LSD?

Quaife LSD?

So as mentioned before, I've been itching to trade up to an E46 M3 but at the same time, I'm a bit skeptical about getting into a higher mileage car (the one I'm considering has 72k miles) that will most likely need costly upkeep soon.

I've been thinking about going with an aftermarket LSD since the lack of a proper one is what irritates me the most about this car. Diffsonline and Performance Gearing, although quality units, are more than I'm willing to spend. After searching a bit more, I found that Quaife also offers an LSD for our cars and it's reasonably priced ($1305), compared to the other options. Any experience on here with the Quaife LSD?

The car is bone stock as it sits now. With a Quaife, good-sounding intake and a tune, I think I would be much happier with the car.

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=183

Now that I look again, I get the impression that what is supplied just replaces the guts inside the stock case?

Two things: first, I do have experience with the Quaife LSD -- but on my 335. I enjoyed it, even though I did not track the car. The car felt more sure with the LSD (especially with the more than 400 ft. lbs. of torque). Second, I know Harold, who works at HP Autowerks (they're located about 3.5 hours north of me). Great guy. Honest guy. I'd buy parts from him all day long.

spencers Guest
    Yes, the Quaife ATB replaces the internals

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Yes, the Quaife ATB replaces the internals
    So how does that work? You send it in and they do the work, or they send you the internals to do yourself?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

M3 rear end cheaper?

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    M3 rear end cheaper?
    No; requires the whole rear subframe.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    No; requires the whole rear subframe.
    Yes, true, but all the parts combined can be had for well under $1K. Rear offsets will change but you get an LSD for well under the cost of an aftermarket one

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    Yes, true, but all the parts combined can be had for well under $1K. Rear offsets will change but you get an LSD for well under the cost of an aftermarket one
    For some folks, this isn't allowed under certain motorsport classing, like in auto-x. Someone in STX can't do that, for example.
    For everyone else, well, go for it.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I did look into the used M3 parts option but I didn't find anything under $1500 for everything that was needed and the Quaife is probably better than the OE M3 unit anyway.

Marcus, did you have a shop install the LSD into your 335 case?

Mike, because the 2009 335 has a welded ring gear, we must do a full pumpkin exchange. HP Autowerks (Harold's shop) shipped the new pumpkin (with diff inside and ready to go). No shims or adjustments necessary.

Then I had Euro Auto Spot, down in San Diego, install the diff on the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast