Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drive Belt Snapped -- Cause?

Hey gang. My alternator drive belt broke this morning, thankfully just a few blocks from home while I was on my way to work. I was able to drive back home with no power steering, just on battery power, and before my car was fully warmed up and caring that the water pump was no longer turning!

So, when I replaced the water pump a year ago, I also replaced the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley. Aside from "simply" it being a defective drive belt, can you think why else my drive belt would snap? I don't want to put a new one on only to have the same problem again down the road -- need to fix a cause, if there is one. Thanks.
    Luigi
    04 Black Sapphire Metallic ZHP, 6-speed manual, stock save chromed wheels, 68K, born February 2004
    BMW CCA of Oregon Member

Remove the broken belt and turn the pulleys by hand. Seen a few e46s w locked up
    Alternators. Could be a defective pulley you put or simply the belt.

Check for grinding or binding. Could be that wp too

Opa iPhone

6K HID FOGS - 8K DS2 LOW BEAMS - SMOKED LED TAILS - SMOKED CORNERS - V2 AE'S - BREMMER WHEELS -CONTI DWS TIRES - K&N INTAKE - 35% TINT - CF ROUNDELS - CF SPLITTERS - 12" SUB - LED REVERSE AND PLATE BULBS - SUPER CLEAN

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TRELO View Post
    Remove the broken belt and turn the pulleys by hand. Seen a few e46s w locked up
    Alternators. Could be a defective pulley you put or simply the belt.
    Exactly. Check those pulleys as well. Where were the pulleys purchased from?

Was the belt the same size as OEM?

Nice, thanks TRELO -- I gave each the pulleys a cursory quick spin after I pulled the belt out and all spun fine -- didn't detect binding or grinding. Will check better once I'm home, though. But the locked up alternator -- come to think of it, I'm not sure I tried to turn its pulley. OK, got some troubleshooting work ahead of me. Power sterering pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley, idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley -- that's it, right? Ah, I hate this crap sometimes. Dang it all. Again, thanks for the help.
    Luigi
    04 Black Sapphire Metallic ZHP, 6-speed manual, stock save chromed wheels, 68K, born February 2004
    BMW CCA of Oregon Member

Spencers, thanks much. Pulleys and belt from my local parts store -- not OEM. I held the old belt up against the new one to make sure it was the same length. Do you strongly recommend OEM belt? Not ready to deal with the pulleys again, quite yet.
    Luigi
    BMW CCA of Oregon Member

spencers Guest
    I think if the replacement belt is within the OEM size by a couple millimeters, you should be fine. Personally, I like Gatorback belts.

Aside from spinning the pulleys, you also want to check for pulley wobble.. Try to wiggle it about its axis and look for play.

All good stuff -- thanks much for taking the time to share your advice. I'll be trying all you recommend. Time to get the coveralls out and work gloves on.

The car was whisper quiet this morning, too. No squeaks or squeals ... hmmm. Just sudden battery light on, power steering bye, bye, and you know the rest.
    Luigi
    BMW CCA of Oregon Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Power sterering pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley, idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley -- that's it, right?
    There is also a pulley on the alternator. Haven't heard it's problematic but it is replaceable. How many miles on your car?
    Last edited by aurelius; 05-17-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Search e46 pulleys on youtube and there will be a video showing you what to look for when inspecting your pulleys.

The pulleys should not spin freely, and should have some resistence...in a nutshell.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Guys, thanks again for the additional replies and help! So appreciated. It's got 69,000 miles. Youtube, I'm there -- thanks!

This is weird because I've been working on cars since I could drive, but somehow I've escaped pulley and belt troubles until now! That's very strange to me ...
    Luigi
    BMW CCA of Oregon Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast