Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Polishing Detail Guide: Written by M0nk3y

With enough people requesting, I decided to write a guide about Random Orbitals and Rotaries.

I want to say this again…this is from what I learned; take it with a grain of salt if you want. I’m not responsible for anything that happens in your hands, I’m just here to explain the processes.

The main question I get: What is a DA (Dual Action) orbital and a rotary? Are they even different.

Dual Action polishers rotate around a circular path, the don’t rotary around a single axis…but 2 (hence the Dual). They rotate around the central axis and the disc that is attached to that is then rotated in a circle due to physics. It’s hard to explain, but what you get is a polisher that doesn’t FORCE the pad in to rotation…that’s the key difference. Because the pad doesn’t rotate around a single axis and isn’t forced into rotation…it’s literally impossible to damage your paint with it (You’d have to hold the polisher in the same spot for about 5 minutes to maybe do damage).

Dual Action polishers are fantastic for beginners, and it’s what everyone should learn on. The learning curve is extremely easy to master and the machine won’t eat you alive.

Now here comes the rotary. Remember when I was talking about all of that rotation around the axis thing? Yea…the rotary doesn’t have that. The pad rotates only around central the axis. Because of this, the pad is FORCED into rotation. With this type of machine, you are able to do much more correction to the paint compared to a rotary. Why? The machine cannot be bogged down when you apply pressure to it (versus the Dual Action). So the pad will constantly rotate. As well, since it only revolves around the single axis…it’s able to create heat a lot faster. Best was to imagine it is drawing a circle on your desk...you keep on tracing that line over and over again.
    Now, draw ovals that constantly rotate around that central axis you drew the first oval at. This resembles a Dual Action path…See how it usually never draws the same path of a line? That helps dissipate heat easier and reduces the risk of any harm.
    Fair Warming…with a rotary you WILL damage your paint at some time or another. I did my mistake and it went for a $300 mistake.

So, you have your choice of machines down…but what else do you need? You still need pads and polishes of course.

Pads. There are many pads on the market now and all of the different colors are often confusing to people. Foam pads have different densities of foam which relates to cutting power. They all vary on different manufactures…but I’m going to suggest what is proven in the market and on cars…Lake County Pads (LLC).

Their foam pads are durable and don’t break apart (unlike others). Here is their color line-up from MOST aggressive to least aggressive.

Yellow, Orange, White, Black, Blue, Red, Gold.

LLC also offers a Purple Wool Pad, but I don’t like it…you will not be able to correct much with it on a Dual Action.

LLC also has hydropads that are designed to work with water based polishes, like Meguiars M105/205. They are Cyan and Tangerine Pads…respectively.

So, polishing time. So many polishes, right?! Each polish is designed to accomplish some job, whether that is heavy swirl removal or light finishing. Most people prefer a 2 step polish…it’s the ideal choice for swirl removal and enhancing depth, so that is what I’ll look to recommend.

Please only focus on Menzerna Polishes and Meguiars…There are other alternatives (like Griots or Poorboys), but those aren’t designed to cut through hard clearcoat like BMW and Mercedes.

So, it’s time to look at combinations. Here is what I suggest if you are using a Dual Action:

Menzerna Polishes: I’d look into Super Intensive Polish (SIP) and Nano Polish (106FF) and use an Orange and White pad.

Meguiars Polishes: M105/M205 (Orange and White as well).

Rotary:

Menzerna: This is a toss-up, you can either go for swirl correction or enhancing gloss with decent correction.

Swirl Correction: SIP and 106FF (White and Black Pad)

Gloss: 106FF and PO85RD (Black and Blue).

Meguiars: M105/M205 (Cyan and Tangerine Hydro Pads or White and Black Pads).

I’m sorry to cut this short, but I figured this is a good start for people that have been asking me for this type of stuff.

If you need specific info, post it and I’ll add it. I’ll write some more as well tonight on polishing techniques…how to approach polishing panels, bumpers…etc

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thank you!!!

why is the flex so much more than the pc?

Great info. Thanks for posting.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    why is the flex so much more than the pc?
    Flex does have Forced Rotation but still follows the path of a Dual Action Path...so you get the benefit of correction but the added security of not burning your paint.

IMO though, it's not worth the money...my rotary was less money

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thanks for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    IMO though, it's not worth the money...my rotary was less money
    haha, just what I wanted to hear

Thanks Kyle!

Lessons learned with the rotary are of interest. As I mentioned, I have an old F150 that I want to learn on.
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Good information. The different pads to be used is interesting.
    Thanks,
    Walt

Bump.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast