Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Short Shifter Thread (SSK)

Kicking around picking up a short shift kit. What do you guys run? I did some searching on here and found one thread discussing the B&M shift kit as pretty quality. Other research has lead me to the UUC setup, although it's pretty expensive.

Looking for some feedback from guys that have them installed or driven a car with one on it.

Oh, and why we're on the topic, anyone running aftermarket knobs they love?

I ran a UUC evo3 SSK on my 335. Loved it. Nice, short throws. If I was modifying my ZHP, I would definitely have that SSK on my car.

Ecs has three options. UUC, ECS, and one other I think.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I also have the UUC SSK. It is definitely an improvement. Takes out the slop in the shift linkage. It will require a little more effort at first, but soon everything loosens up and the action is nice and slick. IIRC, you need to also get the DSSR which adds to the cost.

For something that you will be using a hundred times a day (o.k., I exaggerated), it's worth it to buy the best you can afford.

Here is a nice link to UUC's site which explains the differences between stock and UUC's unit.

I am using the weighted ZHP knob. (My original knob broke and when I ordered the new one, it was heavier although they looked identical).

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Doesn't this require a tranny drop? How hard is this to diy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Has anyone tried a Z3/Z4M Bent knob?

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I have the BMW OEM Performance SSK. Very very happy with it. It is very subtle and not as aggressive as the other kits from Rogue or UUC. I have driven UUC kit and it is very aggressive.

I really enjoy the smooth shorter shifts of the OEM Performance SSK. Just my opinion

I really have no idea what I am doing

You can see where Shane (Euro Auto Spot) was at when he installed the UUC SSK:

I picked up a BMW Performance ssk from jlevi streetwerks for $200. It came with the shifter, a new knob, a replacement carrier bushing, a new "bitch clip", and an alcantara boot.

The install wasn't too bad. I was lucky enough to have access to a lift. No transmission drop was needed. I did, however release the rear transmission mount to free up some space to work. The worst part was the clip that holds the carrier to the transmission.

Its a real nice unit. OEM performance and quality.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

I had mine installed by a local independent, Edge Motorworks in Dublin, CA. They're a bunch of serious motorheads and work on BMW's & Mini's exclusively. Most of them track their cars too and are very passionate about the car. I had UUC transmission mounts put in at the same time too.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast