Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Most likely no....unless you lose coolant.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Looks like I lost a little bit of coolant, but nothing alarming.

Out of curiosity: is it possible that there was too much coolant in the system, and the excessive ambient temperatures in this heat wave plus lots of stop and go with the a/c on caused the coolant to expand so much that it bubbled out of the bleed screw?

I just thought of that a minute ago.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Out of curiosity: is it possible that there was too much coolant in the system, and the excessive ambient temperatures in this heat wave plus lots of stop and go with the a/c on caused the coolant to expand so much that it bubbled out of the bleed screw?

I just thought of that a minute ago.
    Why do you think there was too much coolant in your car? What was the level before? Is there too much oil in your car?

Too much coolant can be detrimental, imho. That could have blown the o-ring. Did you inspect o-ring on bleed screw?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The coolant level was just a smidge above max. Not by much though. Like a half cm on the float - and that could have been because I was looking at the wrong angle. Oil level was fine - if not a little low (I fixed that on the oil change) - but it's still within spec.

HOWEVER, when I switched the bleed screw yesterday, I noticed the old screw did not have an o-ring and there was no o-ring anywhere to be found. I double-checked where the o-ring would sit when making the seal, and it was not there, either. The new screw had an oil ring. I ran the car for about eight minutes with the a/c on and everything and go it up to temperature. I have not noticed any leaks yet.

My guess right now is that either there was too much coolant and it bubbled out, or the lack of an o-ring caused the leak. The old screw did not appear to have any cracks upon a quick inspection. Perhaps the no o-ring situation was the cause.

There is supposed to be an o-ring, correct? Or am I thinking about drain plug?

No there's supposed to be an o-ring. My new one came with an o-ring. Plus it's two plastic pieces trying to seal a fluid in. There's gotta be some rubber in there to help.

OK....that's what I thought. I think you found the smoking gun (no o-ring/blown o-ring)

Same here.

Thanks for your insight!

Autozone.com
    Also: if expansion tank cap is functioning correctly, excess pressure is normally relieved there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast