Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Front clunk/knocking noise. Confirmed diagnosis.

Well, I have had a front clunk/knock from the front of my car every since I put on my coil overs. It was on bumpy roads and around corners. I was almost 100 percent sure it was my sway bar end links that were causing the issue (I cheaped out and got duralast when I did my setup ).

Well my adjustable sway bar end links came in today (and they are pretty!) so I decided to put them on.

I took off the old duralasts and they seemed functional, however when i was removing one the top literaly snapped off of the shaft. . Even though they seemed operational, I had proof they would have failed sooner than later. I placed the adjustable end links in and tightened them all up. after small adjustments (which still need to be fine tuned) took the car around the block to test out the end links.

MAN was I surprised! way better response in turns, feels like my car is on rails finally. I cannot believe how much I was missing out on. I was AMAZED at how much the handling improved from increased tension from the adjustable end links.

Needless to say, my fun was interrupted fairly quick when I heard the clunk again...This time louder and more crisp than before the swap of the end links.

Upon further investigation I determined that the top mounting point on the Coil Overs (Rokkor) is a slightly larger diameter than that of the end link connecting bolt. This is causing the connecting bolt to slide up an down within the hole causing the metal "boing/clunk/knock". The only other way I can describe the sound is if you pulled a sway bar back, and let it go into another piece of metal. The vibration of the impact is heard fairly loudly in the cabin, and even louder outside.

I hope to find some bushings this week to make all my troubles go away...

But for anyone else running rokkors, or anyone having this issue. Hopefully this helps!

Too...Lazy...To....Correct......Grammatical.....Er rors.

After some pondering I remembered I didn't not put any locktight on the threads. I'm going to attempt that tomorrow, in hopes it will stay tight. If I am lucky it will resolve my issues, but I kinda like the idea of bushings now...

Thanks for the data Dean. Are you happy with the Rokkors? Maybe you could write up a product review for those as well. It would be appreciated.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Will do, I will once I have some more time and repair all the little kinks with the setup so I can give a review with repairs.

Glad you were able to diagnose this one Dean. Did you get any pictures of the issues?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

No pictures, I will take some once I resolve the issue however!

Bumping an old thread here but i have this exact issue since installing my KW's. I've taken apart my suspension an gazillion times and can't pinpoint what the issue is. I'm confident it's not my control arms. I've had a clunk for quite some time, happens when changing directions, turning the wheel left and right. Finally this morning, I decided to do a process of elimination. I installed all of my factory suspension back, including factory sway bar end links. Now running on stock suspension, I still get a clunk so i know it's not my coilovers.

The clunk no longer happens when turning left and right at slow speeds. I now just get the clunk at low to moderate speeds on bumps. I'm leaning towards sway bar bushings now as my FCABs, are brand new. Suspension is otherwise really tight.

Boy does the car ride great at stock height! It handles really well at stock height too!

Anyways, I'm thinking it's my sway bar bushings (not end links since both KW and factory units were installed and noise present). What's the recommended sway bar bushing out there? Stock? Poly?

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT

To be honest, that sounds like control arm bushings. I wouldn't be so quick to eliminate them, as they do go. How many miles on the car (control arms), and is it driven in a seasoned environment?

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

could very well be a ball joint failing in one of the control arms.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    could very well be a ball joint failing in one of the control arms.

+1 Check those CA's! The fact that the noise is apparent when turning the wheels...

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I've suspected the CA's but had a hard time convincing myself of them being the culprit for a couple of reasons:

- Prior to installing my suspension, no issues. I installed KW V1's including the sway bar end links, Z4M FCABs, top reinforcement plates.
    - Noise started about less than 500 miles after I installed all of this.
    - Noise is coming from both sides.

I'm just looking at this from a probability standpoint. No noise prior to the work. No noise until 500ish miles after the work. But what really gets me is that I have noise from BOTH sides. Having BOTH CA's go bad at the same time? Just hard for me to convince myself of that. Possible, but how probable?

But alas, that's why I come here to get other opinions, and I greatly appreciate the input.

The CA's are original and have 118k, on them now. Suspension worked mentioned above was done at 113k. So, the CA's do have mileage on them so perhaps you guys are right.

Thanks!

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast