Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken bolt/ Vanos job HELP!

I think I may be in trouble boys. Everything was going great on my VANOS rebuild until now . On reinstallation of the VANOS, I over tightened and snapped one of the studs on the VANOS mount. Am I screwed? Or can I get away without using this bolt? Its one of the six nuts that hold the VANOS in place.

DROID2>YourPhone

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Mmm.....idk.

Tough call. Can you take a couple of more pics with some common identifying features.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Im freaking out right now Dane.....

DROID2>YourPhone

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Well i went ahead and put everything back together (breaking a VCG stud along the way FML ). Car is running buttery smooth with no lights or oil leaks (yet ). I lined the front part of the VCG where the VANOS is with RTV sealant to help with the missing VCG bolt. Hopefully everything will be fine. I will have my Indy give me an opinion on what to do about the 2 broken bolt/studs i have when i go in to get my AC fixed next Wednesday.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

My suggestion would be to extract the broken bolts using an extractor.. your indy will have the tools.. you should replace the broken bolts. OOH and a good torque wrench might be worth the investment...
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Breathe... Stay calm...

Definately recommend on extracting/replacing if you can. I am not at my desk right now so I can't search to see if those are removable/replacable studs or fixed.

I wouldn't wind it up or drive hard if you even have to drive it.

Although I do remember doing a similar repair on an old subaru I owned...and drove for some time after that.

Torque wrench is good recommendation if you didn't have or use it. Also a coat of appropriate lubricant on the threads and new nuts/fasteners.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post

Im freaking out right now Dane.....

DROID2>YourPhone
    Don't freak. All is well. Soon....just pop the VANOS back off.....and EZ out the remaining bolt. Order a new one in the meantime...

Is it the bolt with the red dot or blue dot next to it?

You will need either PC 13 or 15 depending on what your answer is.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=11&fg=15

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ok ok I've calmed down now. Funny thing is that I was using a Torque wrench (Craftsman Microtork 3/8s drive) which evidently is faulty .

I think im just going to bite the bullet and have my Indy do the repair for me Problem is that he can't get me in till Wednesday. Im going to need my car this weekend and next week to drive to and from school everyday. Think it will be safe to drive without doing any damage? I haven't seen any leaking oil yet.

Thanks for the help everyone! Its appreciated!

DROID2>YourPhone

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Just be ocd about oil level and you should be ok.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Autozone.com
    I think the broken Valve Cover stud can be removed without taking the whole Valve cover off. Anyone know the P/N for that stud? I can't seem to find it on RealOEM. Its the stud on the very front of the VANOS on the Valve cover

Edit: Looks like I found it. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330..._Stud/ES18233/
    Im going to take a trip over to Circle BMW in a bit and see if they have it

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast