Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil Change/air pump design

Geez... I'm used to working on BMW's and consider myself familiar with their peculiarities when doing straightforward basic maintenance. Anyone know why or when BMW changed the airpump design to this? In past I've been able to squeeze an oil bottle right where the new big hose coming off the top is located. That hose wasn't always there, was it? Grrr.

On my old E46, I could get the oil into the filler without spilling. With this new design, it was a complete cluster. If I wasn't in a hurry I would have pulled the covers to clean properly. Instead I used brake parts cleaner and a shop rag. WTH?

Do you mafiosos use a funnel or what?
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

I have always used a funnel. My 2001....325i....was the same design as my current 2004 ZHP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I was wrong. You are right. My old car below.

My current...

I have no idea when it changed. Funnel makes it easier though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

spencers Guest
    Mine looks like dane's old car.

I pour oil straight into the crankcase from the bottle. I have a steady hand from my many years of pipetting

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Mine looks like dane's old car.

I pour oil straight into the crankcase from the bottle. I have a steady hand from my many years of pipetting
    Ahhhh....chemist!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I've simmered down on this one.... I'll be getting a funnel. I'm sure there's some logical reason (or not) reason for the change... I don't know why I got bent out of shape.... Sorry to send disruptive mojo in the mafia...
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Quote Originally Posted by SoarinZHP View Post
    I've simmered down on this one.... I'll be getting a funnel. I'm sure there's some logical reason (or not) reason for the change... I don't know why I got bent out of shape.... Sorry to send disruptive mojo in the mafia...
    No worries. We did sense a disturbance in the Force, though. Sounds as though things are getting better now.

Looks like the change was in '04.

My '03 had the old style pump.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Tilt the oil container sideways, pour. You will have absolutely no problems as long as you aim properly. Will flow nice and smooooooooooth.
    Not quite understanding why that air pump is in the way... ??
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Autozone.com
    The change happened in 03/2003 when the ECM switched to the MS45. The new style has a MAF that measures the airflow for the secondary air pump. They also changed the intake MAF to one with a 6 pin connector (5 pins used) that supplies the intake air temperature instead of a separate sensor in the intake manifold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast