Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Pillar mod...BMW E46 doityourself

(Old Story-From about 2 years ago) So the story goes like this....a while back I got my windows tinted and the place that did it got the felt on my trim wet....so some of it wrinkled.

Well...I fixed it....

Required tools/materials

~ T20 Torx, and 1/4" drive ratchet.

~Thin blade standard screwdriver.

~Glue or 3M Super 77 spray adhesive

~Small art paint brush.

~Paint of your choice.

~Drop cloths to paint on.

DISCONNECT BATTERY.

Step 1...remove trim

Step 2....remove the thin "SRS" strip (using thin blade screwdriver) and the three torx (T20) screws underneath.

Step 3...complete removal by gentle moving rubber trim, pulling out on the trim piece, then pull gently down toward the floor board. This should cause the clip near the dash corner to free itself.

Step 4....Next take your trim piece to a clear area and peel a little of the felt back to give yourself a good clean area to glue.

Step 5....Get your 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and spray a light coat to the area needing glue. Then press the felt into place, obviously ensuring there are NO wrinkles.

Only use this:

This is the trim piece after gluing, and drying. You can see where some of the glue had slightly discolored the felt. I would not recommend you do this on light material, unless your going to paint (as I did) or find a good spray adhesive. I did not use the above product on my pillars...therefore the dicoloration resulted. This should not be the case with the "77" spray, though I don't know from experience.

Step 6....Paint and let dry. I probably completed 5 thin coats....but you really don't have to worry about running on the felt.

Step 7...from here its kinda a no brainer. Let dry for a few area, and snap, screw and re-install all pieces in the reverse order...for a finished product that looks pretty unique. Tip, when trying to get the trim pieces back in....start near the window, and fold the rubber over the trim piece, as this will give more room for it to snap into place.

Passenger side finished product.

Driver side finished product.

Better Lighting.

I hope this helps make someone happier with there car. OUT!

Now I have to do the ones in the rear. The endless pursuit of perfection continues...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I need to do this so bad. My passenger side is totally off. But I can't pull off the pillar because the very top screw is angled so far to the window I can't get a dang tool in there. So i guess this is one for the dealership

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Why didn't ya paint the HPF strips?
    Left them that way on purpose. Through the window....they looked great that way.....and one of a kind.....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Left them that way on purpose. Through the window....they looked great that way.....and one of a kind.....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Two of a kind...

Will be adding to this thread within the week. I have found a fabric that matches the interior nicely...

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Step 5....Get your 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and spray a light coat to the area needing glue. Then press the felt into place, obviously ensuring there are wrinkles.

This is the trim piece after gluing, and drying. You can see where some of the glue had slightly discolored the felt. I would not recommend you do this on light material, unless your going to paint (as I did) or find a good spray adhesive.
    Regarding step 5 above, please clarify:

Do you mean "ensuring there are NO wrinkles?"

Also, if the glue discolored the felt and the glue you used is the aforementioned 3M product, am I looking at discoloring the non-ZHP light gray felt if I use this product? Or are you saying you should have but did not actually use the 3M Super 77?

I am saying......."ensure there are NO wrinkles.

Also....Use Super 77, and not the sheeet I initially used (because initially I did not use the Super 77 stuff).

Edited above DIY.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Lol, ok...
    I mean c'mon Spence....that's the sheeeet.

I've narrowed it down to three fabric options with a possible fourth if I find a fabric at random.

Material is cotton and seems pretty durable.

Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrogs_M3 View Post
    I need to do this so bad. My passenger side is totally off. But I can't pull off the pillar because the very top screw is angled so far to the window I can't get a dang tool in there. So i guess this is one for the dealership
    Get a torx bit set and use a 1/4" socket on the top one. That's how I got mine to come out.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    I've narrowed it down to three fabric options with a possible fourth if I find a fabric at random.

Material is cotton and seems pretty durable.

That's puuuuuuurty.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast