Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    What's a DISA valve?
    2004 Alpinweiss 330Ci ZHP 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by RITmusic2k View Post
    If it's specifically from 2800-3000 it's very likely a software issue. Several forum members have corrected this problem by getting DME updates. I suffer from this as well, though I haven't yet had the chance to rectify it. Maybe this weekend while we're at the Crevier museum I can have them take a look for me.

The other possibility is that it's a VANOS issue. I'd try to get a software update first, since that'd be the cheaper solution and if it takes care of the problem, you'll never have to worry about it again.
    I've done some reading on this and I've found that the dealership actually needs your DME to send out and is only done on a customer request basis. What does it cost and how long will they have the DME?

Quote Originally Posted by cparker View Post
    What's a DISA valve?

Part number 7

at a cool 200 dollars

I've done some reading on this and I've found that the dealership actually needs your DME to send out and is only done on a customer request basis. What does it cost and how long will they have the DME?

Or you can do it yourself

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1628787

What is the function of the DISA valve and what are the sypmtoms of it's failure?

You're talking about the 4k RPM dip that is exclusive to the ZHP. That's the only one that requires the DME to be shipped to NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by VA330CI View Post
    Since he's talking about the 4k RPM dip, that cannot be fixed by a standard DME flash. So no, he cannot do it himself.

yeah, the 2800-3000rpm dip is cured* by a standard DME update which can be done within an hour at any BMW service department.

* - if it's a software flaw only; if there's a VANOS issue as well, that'll also need to be addressed.

Zebra Horse Power - PSA: The Hypermiling Thread
    Kevin Savino-Riker
    Cogito Automation, LLC.
    I'm new at BMWs.

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    You're talking about the 4k RPM dip that is exclusive to the ZHP. That's the only one that requires the DME to be shipped to NJ.

Since he's talking about the 4k RPM dip, that cannot be fixed by a standard DME flash. So no, he cannot do it himself.
    I am willing to put down $100 dollars down that it can be done by simply updating the DME AND you can do it by yourself! WINKFP and dis is all that is needed. The fact that you have to ship it out to NC must be due to some red tape or just so that the dealership doesn't mess it up since the ms45.1 DME is sensitive. as long as you bypass the DME relay everything will be fine.

Service Measure
    Engine Electrical B12 209 05 04/06/2005
    Subject
    M54B30 MS45.1; Engine Power Drops at 4000 RPM

Vehicle
    E46, E60 with M54B30 and manual transmission.

Complaint
    Customer may complain of an engine power drop at approximately 4000 rpm during aggressive acceleration.

Cause
    Ignition timing retardation due to unfavorable tolerances of DISA valve flap shaft. Vibrations of a DISA valve are interpreted by the knock sensor system as detonation combustion.

Measure
    On a customer complaint basis, replace DISA valve with the improved part (PN 11 61 7 544 805).
    After DISA replacement, connect vehicle to DIS/GT1 and from DME identification page retrieve the programmed and basic DME part numbers.
    Reprogram DME with the latest available DTS CD! SSS CIP software version. DME programming should last for at least 20 minutes and should result in both programmed and basic control unit number changes. Reprogramming of DME clears the long-term knock sensors adaptations. If the knock adaptation values are not cleared, the vehicle will still exhibit the power lack complaint, even with the improved DISA valve installed.

Important:
    In the event the DME programming takes only a short period of time (approximately 5 minutes), and the basic control unit part number has not been changed, the adaptation clearing process has not been accomplished.

In such a case, contact Technical Hotline — Drive train via a PuMA case, requesting authorization for DME shipment to Engineering Department for reprogramming. For the PuMA case title use the following: MS45.1 DME KNOCK ADAPTATION RESET”.

^^ thats when the dealership can't figure it out or doesnt want to deal with it. so yes, anyone can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by VA330CI View Post
    I am willing to put down $100 dollars down that it can be done by simply updating the dme.
    If that was the case (again, only speaking about the 4k RPM dip here), why would BMW NA specifically state that the DME is to be shipped to NJ? Think about it for a moment - they have to remove the DME, package it, ship it overnight, get it returned back to them in a couple days and go through a re-installation process of the DME (total PITA if you've ever seen it done). Not to mention, they give the owner a loaner car during this period (at least they did when the car was under warranty).

If it was as easy as a DME flash at the dealership, why wouldn't they do it that way instead of all the hassle I described above? The answer is that the knock adaptation fix for the 4k RPM dip is not something that can be flashed by the GT1 at your local dealer or by someone with a laptop running some diagnostic software.

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    If that was the case (again, only speaking about the 4k RPM dip here), why would BMW NA specifically state that the DME is to be shipped to NJ? Think about it for a moment - they have to remove the DME, package it, ship it overnight, get it returned back to them in a couple days and go through a re-installation process of the DME (total PITA if you've ever seen it done). Not to mention, they give the owner a loaner car during this period (at least they did when the car was under warranty).

If it was as easy as a DME flash at the dealership, why wouldn't they do it that way instead of all the hassle I described above? The answer is that the knock adaptation fix for the 4k RPM dip is not something that can be flashed by the GT1 at your local dealer or by someone with a laptop running some diagnostic software.
    I'm sorry but, You're incorrect my friend.

You use WINKFP to update the DME. Then use DIS to clear ALL of the adaptations. done.

The DME is actually very easy to remove. 4 allen bolts, a plastic cover. 5 ecu connectors and unclipping the DME from it's plastic shroud iirc.

redtape and the dealership not wanting to deal with is likely the answer. dealerships do not know how to use WINKFP. Since it is BMW factory software.

But I can provide closure.

I'll pull up DW77's software version on his sharkinjector thread. and show a screen cap of WINKFP with the EXACT same version number. If needed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast