Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat sound

spencers Guest
    Man, my HK system rocks my face off! I'm not sure why I see so many complaints about it...

If you can't solve the issue by changing settings, maybe one (or more) speakers are busted?

KG, I've done it before. Just have to remember how to get to the settings. I'll find it for you before the day is out.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    KG, I've done it before. Just have to remember how to get to the settings. I'll find it for you before the day is out.
    That would be awesome!

Thank you, sir.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by spencers
    Man, my HK system rocks my face off! I'm not sure why I see so many complaints about it...

If you can't solve the issue by changing settings, maybe one (or more) speakers are busted?
    It's all a matter of expectations. When I bought mine got in the car turned on system set bass treble etc. Said this has to go. No definition at all. End up spending a couple of grand and it's real good not great but the vert limits sound options.
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post

I guess it's all perspective. If you've never heard better, it probably sounds fine. Lots of people tell me they've heard good car audio systems before and then describe a system that has massive subwoofers and can hit big decibel levels but little attention has been paid to the other speakers amps, etc. Most car audio installers don't even know the basics of how sound works and interacts in the car. I've heard plenty of "boom systems" over the years that can't create a realistic soundstage or produce true fidelity.

I agree with the OP though, the HK system is mediocre at best. Even with the settings that I described, it still struggles to sound good against even the most basic systems I've built over the years.

There was a guy on bfc that was building a high quality audio system in his E46 and was doing it right. Wish I could remember his user ID. IIRC, he was in Ohio or IN.

A lot will depend on what one and individual considers "good" sound quality.
    Being a semi-audiophile, I think the HK system is "meh" but I can live with it, when I am in the car - I listen to a lot of talk radio like NPR and only listen to music on long trips with wifey, etc (I have a USA spec). For dialogs, with all the settings in the "mid" (Ton linear) position, and that "music note" thing turned off, I think it's 'ok'.

If I had to listen to the HK system's sound as my main system at home when listening to music on a serious level, I'd kill myself within a week.
    But for background listening with NPR on, and news, BBC (via NPR), on my way to work, I think I can live with the HK sound. It's bass-heavy, so try turning down the bass -1 from middle and keep all adjustment else in middle, and see if anything improves.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I agree. I did my last car "right", I did throrough sound insulation, top of the line digital Alpine amplifiers and speakers... yeah it was pushing a lot of power but it was clean, well balanced power. If I didn't just come from a vehicle that had such a finely tuned and well set up system I wouldn't complain, but to my ears the HK system is mediocre at best.

I'm fighting myself really hard but I can't see myself sticking with the stock HK system.
    2004 Alpinweiss 330Ci ZHP 6MT

Plenty of people have had success with keeping the stock deck and replacing the speakers and amplifiers. That way you retain the OEM look.

I have heard the Bavarian Sound Works (BSW) system is okay - a little pricey... but that is the cost for having everything couple with the stock components. I may go this route eventually....

On my last car I went with Eclipse amplifiers and point source speakers all around. The difference in sound quality from that upgrade alone was amazing.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    I have heard the Bavarian Sound Works (BSW) system is okay - a little pricey... but that is the cost for having everything couple with the stock components. I may go this route eventually....

On my last car I went with Eclipse amplifiers and point source speakers all around. The difference in sound quality from that upgrade alone was amazing.
    I'm really glad you brought up BSW... I noticed that they have a custom made ipod/iphone mount that I'm very excited about. I just received my USA SPEC ipod adapter yesterday, I'm going to have to check and see if their mount is compatible with it.

EDIT: I just contacted BSW and they off the mount with either USB or S-Video connections. I believe the USA spec unit has an S-Video output on it, I'll have to check when I get home.
    Last edited by cparker; 06-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    2004 Alpinweiss 330Ci ZHP 6MT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12